CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

How to power RTC during sleep?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Razo

How to power RTC during sleep?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:23 pm     Reply with quote

OK this isn't a CCS question. But I would like to know what your thoughts are on it.
I'm building a project where the controller is doing some some data collection and will spend most of its time in sleep mode, but when it does do the collection I need to timestamp it. So I'm using a ds1307 RTC as thats what I have to hand and I've used them before.
My question is... Should I...
a) Power the RTC perm using the main battery to keep the clock running, thus keeping the backup battery only for battery changes?
or
b) Power the RTC with a I/O pin only when I need to ask it the time and cut its power when the pic goes to sleep?

The backup battery will drain faster with option b but will save the main batteries powering it when I'm not calling it. I'm only going to be calling the RTC a handful of times a day once the project is complete.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Razo Smile
FvM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:36 am     Reply with quote

The questions sounds confuse. The RTC needs a permanent power to keep the time, but it's current consumption
is below 1 uA, so it can operate 10 years and more with a lithium coin cell.

DS1307 has a dual supply, so the battery isn't discharged during processor activities.
bungee-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:03 am     Reply with quote

@razo: I really don't understand what are you trying to say with option a and b. I have one project that is battery operated. I used same RTC and I connected backup battery for time keeping and the other one was main battery. I totally forgot about that project and after few years everything was still working, RTC was off for a few seconds but that is not unexpected for a longer period of time.

So again what is your dilemma here.
Razo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:53 am     Reply with quote

Ok so i posted that late last night so maybe i wasn't clear.
In my project i have 2 batteries. One powering the pic, lcd and atm the RTC
and also on the rtc I have a 3v coin cell with keeps the time while the main power is off. What i'm asking is, when i don't need to get the time from the RTC and the microcontroller is sleeping should i still power the RTC using the main battery or let it keep its time just on the coin cell.
bkamen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:10 pm     Reply with quote

Figure out which mode requires the least current.

or

Decide if you want the 3V coin to last longer because maybe the main battery is more easily replenished or replaced.

Then go with that.

That's a design thing you have to ultimately decide.

-Ben

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:15 pm     Reply with quote

The meaning of your a) versus b) alternatives gets understandable now.

I don't know, what's your total circuit standby current (without DS1307). But DS1307 has a considerably higher Vcc standby
current (50 - 100 uA) than it's Vbat idle current, I fear, it may be too high. So it's possibly meaningful to use variant b).
A single supply RTC (e.g. DS1337) has a much lower standby current.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: