CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

---

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rohit de Sa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:18 pm     Reply with quote

Darko:
Quote:
i need to use one pin for writing SDA line and another pin for reading SDA
I don't know why you'd want to do this, since the whole point of using 'serial' comms is to reduce the number of pins used Confused, and since CCS already has pre-made I2C functions ready for your use.

All the same, there are two ways you could go about this.

First:
You could bit-bang an I2C-like routine in firmware that uses one pin for SDAin and another for SDAout. SDAin can be permanently set as input, and SDAout can permanently be set as output. I say 'I2C-like' because this sort of bit-banging no longer confirms to I2C specs. Its more like 'three-wire-serial' (*not* SPI, mind you!). The SDAin and SDAout pins need to be shorted. Please keep in mind that there are 'ACK's and 'nACK's in I2C communications. You need to keep track of this.

Second:
Using this method you may be able to use the built-in functions (which was not possible in the previous implementation). Create two I2C streams:
Code:
#use I2C(master, sda=PIN_B0, scl=PIN_B1, stream=I2C_1)
#use I2C(master, sda=PIN_B2, scl=PIN_B1, stream=I2C_2)
I think the streams can share the same clock line (*please verify this!!*). Short B2 and B0.

I have *NOT* tested this code, but I think it'll work. I will put it into my compiler and try it out when I get the time.

In both cases, make sure you put pull ups on the pins and allow the pins to float high.

Rohit
FvM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:31 pm     Reply with quote

I2C master and slave are reading and writing within a single byte frame, so the suggestion surely can't work. Using your own software I2C code ist definitely the way to go.

There are of course several possible reasons, why you may want to split the SDA in- and output function, e.g. inplementing optical isolation or protected driver hardware.
Rohit de Sa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:26 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
I2C master and slave are reading and writing within a single byte frame, so the suggestion surely can't work.
With the sharp eyes and brains on this forum, I should probably have tested the code, or put much deeper thought into it, before suggesting it Embarassed
Quote:
Please keep in mind that there are 'ACK's and 'nACK's in I2C communications. You need to keep track of this.
Guess I should have added this disclaimer in the second suggestion as well. Anyway, thanks to FvM & Darko for pointing this out. Smile

Quote:
Or maybe there's an hardware solution for merging the 2 lines (read: open collector output from a comparator --- write: ttl input) into one pin of the pic... :/
I like the direction this is headed - personally, I'm more a 'hardware' than a 'software' guy. Tell me if you get this solution to work.

Rohit
FvM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:24 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
I like the direction this is headed - personally, I'm more a 'hardware' than a 'software' guy. Tell me if you get this solution to work.

As an inveterate hardware guy, I can tell you this: A hardware solution for demultiplexing a bidirectional
wired or signal can't work without a current sense or a similar means, e.g. utilizing different low levels.
Philips/NXP bidirectional bus buffer P82B96 is an example how it can work.
http://www.standardics.nxp.com/products/p82b/datasheet/p82b96.pdf

The part can be a hardware solution in the questioned application.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:16 am     Reply with quote

I think though, a crude solution, probably does exist, since in this case the signalling is single directional to/from the wireless modules.

The wireless 'receive' module, doesn't need to have the I2C bus come 'to' it. All it potentially does, is pull the I2C lines 'low', when it is receiving data. Hence, if it's output was a genuine I2C 'open collector' drive, it could be wire or'ed with the PIC's I2C pin. If it's output is push/pull, this could be simulated by adding an open-collector buffer, or even (but be careful about the levels involved), by putting a low drop diode in line.

The transmit module, would presumably need 'disable' connections, so it is not driven by data coming from the receive module, but with this present, can then just be driven from the PIC's I2C lines.

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: