CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

PCD - ready for prime time yet OR C18 to C30?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JK

PCD - ready for prime time yet OR C18 to C30?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:36 am     Reply with quote

I need to do a PIC24 product. I'm satisfied with CCS for my PIC18 projects but I have heard of issues with PCD still. I've e-mailed CCS but can't get a response to discuss the maturity of the product.

Short term, I can develop on the PIC18 but need a known solid upgrade path to the PIC24. If PCD is not here yet, my other alternative is C18 to C30, so I am looking for comments on that code migration path as well.

Would prefer PCH>PCD, but not gettting the warm fuzzies for a commercial product.
Gary Smithson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:41 am     Reply with quote

I am doing a PCD project that has a USB composite HID mouse/keyboard and a few PWM channels as its major features. I might also mention it makes use of Peripheral Pin Select and Master I2C.

With the exception of generating Configuration Bits that cause MPLab to display error messages, the compiler is working well enough for this project. With that said, there was a period of at least three weeks where I reported multiple bugs per week.

Silly little things like port_a_pullups not being recognized as a valid function are still happening so I am having to do a few direct register writes.

Hope that helps,
Gary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:42 pm     Reply with quote

I've been using pcd since first release. There were many problems at the start but ccs has been working at resolving them. There are very few problems now. I developed an engine control module with a 30f4011 with no current problems. As of 4.092 all my issues have been solved by ccs.

So changing to microchips compiler would be a new learning curve you don't really need. The code between pch and pcd is very similar. So there is really no such thing as mature, because they are always changing the code to improve it, causing a problem somewhere else.

Mature for ccs is if there are no changes for 2 weeks, this means there are no major problems with their last version. They sometimes release a version and two days later they release a fix for that previous version. So wait 2 weeks before using the current version.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: