CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Code corruption

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcs

Code corruption
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:28 am     Reply with quote

I have have a code corruption problem with an PIC18LF4550

The problem was as identified as a block of 64 bytes in program memory being reprogrammed(erased?) to $ff.

Having read numerous posts I thought that blame could be attributed to the code's lack of fuse settings for:
Brown Out Protection
Write Protect
stack overflow reset
power up delay

From my understanding the main issue caused by these mechanisms is that the PC can go to any memory location randomly. For this to have caused the program memory erase problem it would need to have jumped to an erase program memory code segment.

However there is no such segment in the code. The nearest thing is a write to the EEPROM (generated by the CCS compiler being used):
Code:

1025:              void FineWriteEeprom( int8 address, int8 value )
1026:              {
1027:                   write_eeprom( address, value );
0D50    C06D     MOVFF 0x6d, 0xfa9
0D54    C06E     MOVFF 0x6e, 0xfa8
0D58    9CA6     BCF 0xfa6, 0x6, ACCESS
0D5A    9EA6     BCF 0xfa6, 0x7, ACCESS
0D5C    84A6     BSF 0xfa6, 0x2, ACCESS
0D5E    CFF2     MOVFF 0xff2, 0
0D62    9EF2     BCF 0xff2, 0x7, ACCESS
0D64    010F     MOVLB 0xf
0D66    0E55     MOVLW 0x55
0D68    6EA7     MOVWF 0xfa7, ACCESS
0D6A    0EAA     MOVLW 0xaa
0D6C    6EA7     MOVWF 0xfa7, ACCESS
0D6E    82A6     BSF 0xfa6, 0x1, ACCESS
0D70    B2A6     BTFSC 0xfa6, 0x1, ACCESS
0D72    D7FE     BRA 0xd70
0D74    94A6     BCF 0xfa6, 0x2, ACCESS
0D76    5000     MOVF 0, W, ACCESS
0D78    12F2     IORWF 0xff2, F, ACCESS
0D7A    0100     MOVLB 0
0D7C    0C00     RETLW 0

This code does not set or modify the EECON1 bit4 (flash row erase) which would be needed to cause a program block erase. This control bit is 0 on POR and is not modified at any point in the code. There is no code to even write to the program memory.

The EECON1 bit7 (flash program memory select bit) is cleared before every write? Which prevents acesses to the program memory

The power supplies are rock solid and have < 20mv pk-pk noise, drop to around 0.2v when off so the device should receive a good POR

External IO lines are protected by 220kohm series resistors
MClr is pulled up with a 47k resistor to the power supply.

Whilst I am happy to put the additional safety measures (mentioned above) into the code as an attempt to try and fix the problem, I would like to understand the mechanism which could have caused this program memory curruption. Are there any other compiler or device issues which could cause this problem?

I have set up a test bench with the PSU cycling on and off every 10 seconds to try and replicate the problem but with no luck as yet.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:10 am     Reply with quote

First thing, is this on more than one physical chip?. If not, it could simply be a chip fault. I have known chips that 'lose' a block without warning like this....

The first 'hardware' thing you don't mention, is is LVP enabled?. If so, then external hardware events on the LVP pins could cause this problem.

The second is the connection to the MCLR pin. Why 47K?. how long is the connection?. What else is near it?. The normal reason for using 47K, is if you are using ISP, since this is around the lowest resistor the programmers can drive high, without overloading their drives, and is large enough, so that the supply rail doesn't get pulled up significantly when they do. Unless you are using ISP, lower this value, and add a clamp diode, so the pin cannot go above the supply.

If you are not needing to write the memory from inside the code, why not try enabling the write protection fuses. If it still gives the problem, you have proved it is a chip hardware problem. WRTB,WRTC,WRT,CPB.

Best Wishes
marcs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:55 am     Reply with quote

Ttelmah

Thanks for the speedy reply

In answers to your points:

I have seen this on two separate occasions at random locations in memory.

The LVP is disabled in the fuse settings and I have confirmed this on the actual device using MPLAB

47k was used as it is a common value elsewhere on the board and a value i commonly use to pull up in applications where I am trying to save current wherever I can.
The 47k resistor is located adjacent adjacent to the pin on the pic and routed into a plane to get the power. The track is routed approx 20mm to a header for programming.
I can see no way that this can exceed the power rail, capacitive, emi, etc. As it is just a piece of 20mm track with a pull up at one end inside a metal enclosure.

I take your point about lowering the value and clamping. Belt and braces but it is not really viable at this stage as the products are out in the field.

Assuming some unknown event caused a spike on MClr is it likely that that could cause a block of program memory to be erased?

With regards to setting the protection fuses that will be my immediate action. I am hoping to duplicate the problem first to prove a fix but I am simply not seeing any other devices fail to test the fix against.
Marcs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:43 am     Reply with quote

Hi Ttelmah

You mention that you have seen devices which lose a block of memory.

In my case reprogramming the device was completely successful and despite power cycling the device I am not able replicate the problem.

Is this in common with your experience of lost memory blocks or was the device then rendered unusable?

cheers

Marc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: