CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

programming SOIC PIC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olufola

programming SOIC PIC
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:48 pm     Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a locally made programmer that requires the insertion of DIP PIC’s on the DIP socket available on the programmer. I need to program an SOIC package PIC (PIC18F2221 in particular).
I have been using this programmer for all my PIC projects since I started using the PIC and I have never used any other method of programming.
I have tried using wires to connect the pins needed for programming on the programmer to DIP PIC’S (without actually inserting it into the socket provided) to see if this approach can be used for SOIC. The approach is not working (The PIC is detected, but the type is not recognized and cannot be programmed). The same PIC would program perfectly on insertion into the socket.
I think the only variable of concern in what I tried is distance (the PIC was closer to the programmer when inserted than when the wire connection is used). I don’t know if there is a ceiling to how far the PIC can be from the programmer when programming. I don’t know if this is the result that I should always expect. I am open to any other programming method that I can master and implement in less than a day.
In the CCS IDE, I noticed that under the compile tab, there is a ‘program chip’ button under which the option of programming with ICD is provided. The help file does not provide the details. I don’t know which hardware is meant to work with ICD. Maybe what I need is someone to put me through with ICD or some other solutions.

Thanks.
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:06 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:

I don’t know if there is a ceiling to how far the PIC can be from the
programmer when programming.

In the past, I have used a PicStart-Plus for ICSP programming.
I soldered some wires to a 40-pin header adapter, and connected them
to a 6-pin Molex connector. The 40-pin header goes in the PicStart-Plus
and the Molex goes to the Pic board. The cable is about 8 inches long (20 cm).
It always worked well.
Rohit de Sa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:48 pm     Reply with quote

ICSP programming requires certain requirements to be met, particularly if your PIC has additional circuitry on the ICSP pins (DAT, CLK, MCLR). For example, if you have an LED on the CLK pin, connected without a series resistor, you won't be able to program the PIC. The LED prevents the voltage on the CLK pin of the PIC from rising above its forward drop (~0.7v for red LEDs).

This is Microchip's ICSP guide http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/30277d.pdf Have a look at some of the circuits given and make sure your PIC confirms to the specs.

Rohit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: