CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

v3.249 and v4 on same PC?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will Reeve

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

v3.249 and v4 on same PC?
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:25 am     Reply with quote

I am happy with v3.249 and have been using it for years but need some of the features of v4 so will have to install that now, question is can I install both on the same PC now?
I experimented with the early versions of v4 and it was in a little bit of a mess.
Or is v4 really stable now and I should bite the bullet and move all my legacy projects over when required?
Oli

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:34 am     Reply with quote

You can run different versions of the compiler by simply creating a new directory for each, for example:

c:\program files\PICC-3.249

just create a new shortcut from each directory. I have had to do this when retaining a specific compiler version for a specific project.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:36 am     Reply with quote

Realistically, it is 'dead easy' to have multiple versions on a machine. Most 'old hands', do this. Just install to a different directory name. I still have two V3 releases on the machine, plus a couple of V4 releases.
V4, is now 'perfectly useable', _but_ individual releases do still have 'oddities' at times, and there may be some small compatibility issues with upgrading old code. A few changes do slightly affect the way things work, so having an older version for compatibility may well be worthwhile for a sort time at least.

Best Wishes
Will Reeve

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:51 am     Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Installed v4 into PICCv4 directory, first thing it did was obliterate my previous start menu short-cuts for v3, not a great problem I know!

I like the new interface, found a repeatable bug in about 1 minute! In the Debug screen if you click on a area of blank space you get a "List index out of bound
s (-1)" windows error, at least it doesn't close the compiler!

I like the fold down tabs on the editor which collapse { } for you and also /* and */.

Debugging seems about x2 as fast which is very nice indeed. One project I am working on just imported, compiled and debugged perfectly!

I think the new IDE will grow on me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: