CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

3.3 v logic or 5 v logic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
guest453

3.3 v logic or 5 v logic
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:49 am     Reply with quote

Hi all, i have the following code;

Code:
#include <24FJ16GA002.h>
#include <string.h>

#FUSES NOWDT                    //No Watch Dog Timer
#FUSES NOJTAG                   //JTAG disabled
#FUSES NOPROTECT                //Code not protected from reading
#FUSES NOWRT                    //Program memory not write protected
#FUSES NODEBUG                  //No Debug mode for ICD
#FUSES ICS3                     //ICD communication channel 3
#FUSES IOL1WAY                  //Allows only one reconfiguration of peripheral pins
#FUSES WINDIS                   //Watch Dog Timer in non-Window mode
#FUSES WPRES128                 //Watch Dog Timer PreScalar 1:128
#FUSES WPOSTS16                 //Watch Dog Timer PostScalar 1:32768
#FUSES IESO                     //Internal External Switch Over mode enabled
#FUSES FRC                      //Internal Fast RC Oscillator
#FUSES NOCKSFSM                 //Clock Switching is disabled, fail Safe clock monitor is disabled
#FUSES NOOSCIO                  //OSC2 is general purpose output
//#FUSES NOPR                     //Primary oscillaotr disabled

#use delay(clock=4000000)
#pin_select U1TX=PIN_B3  //RS-232 TX PIN 21
#pin_select U1RX=PIN_B2  //RS-232 RX PIN 22

#use rs232(UART1,baud=19200,parity=N,bits=8, STREAM=PC,ERRORS)

void main()
{

char c;   

fprintf(PC,"ready");
output_high(PIN_B7);
output_high(PIN_A0);

while(1){

if(kbhit(PC)){
c=getc(PC);

putc(c,PC);}

}
}

I am just trying to send a character to the hyperterminal.I am using pic24fj16ga002 and max232 cpe to transmit the characters to the pc.But the problem is when i press w it displays the correct character but when i press a it displays q also when i press c it displays s!!!!When i looked at ascii character table i saw that a is 61 Hx and q is 71 Hx,c is 63 Hx and s is 73 Hx and the problem is the same for other ascii characters.

a=0110 0001
q=0111 0001

when i press q it displays it but i dont know why the 5.th bit goes 1 instead of 0 when i press a (or the others)

Does anyone can help me ?

Thanks.
ccesaretto

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:35 am     Reply with quote

I had similar issues with the serial port. I resolved using an external oscillator rather than the internal one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:42 am     Reply with quote

Please have a look into the datasheet if the internal oscillator meets the requirements of max. 2% speed deviation at the serial port or not. Some combinations of clock and desired baudrate will not match. To figure out if you have a sampling/baudrate problem or not try other baudrates.
guest453

3.3 v logic or 5 v logic
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:24 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks guys,
Now it works.
bsturm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:47 pm     Reply with quote

What did you change? Did you have to add an oscillator?
guest453

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:04 pm     Reply with quote

i disabled internal oscillator and enabled external and put an external oscillator.It worked.
bsturm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:31 pm     Reply with quote

I suspected that is what you had to do. I have had the same problem and I haven't fixed it yet. The internal oscillator seems to hold time very well, well within 1% when I measured it. But I still couldn't communicate with Hyperterminal or a serial LCD. I could communicate with my PicKit2 in serial mode no problem.

I captured my bits on a scope and the timing looked excellent, but still not working with Hyperterminal. I don't understand why it wouldn't work. I even adjusted my clock speed up and down a little, but still nothing. I don't need async comms at the moment, so I gave up. I am using my osc pins as IO, so adding a resonator would be difficult. I'm glad that you got yours working.
guest453

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:17 am     Reply with quote

well i used the code that i posted.i set the baudrate 9600 and i used 4 mhz crystal.i read pcd manual and i changed the first line of fuses statement like this

#fuses HS, PR, NOWDT then
#use delay(clock=4000000) for clock.I think when i tried higher baudrate it didn't work but i am not sure.I must check it tomorrow.Do you see nothing in the hyperterminal?

i set hyperterminal like this:

baud:9600
parity:N
stop bits:1
hardware:N

did you set hyperterminal like that.by the way mine worked i didn't spend time for the internal oscillator anymore:)

I wonder if anyone has a sample code for pic24fj128ga106 using four hardware uarts.If anyone shares i will apreciate.
bsturm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:23 pm     Reply with quote

I was getting garbage characters on Hyperterminal, smiley faces and what not. Sometimes it would work properly for a short time. I did have it set to 9600-8-N-1. I also tried 2400, 1200,300 and even 110 baud with no luck.
guest453

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:02 pm     Reply with quote

Be sure about voltage levels. All must set to 3.3. Then be sure that your line transceiver is working(max232 ext.) Then use a simple code (echo a character) that works. If it doesn't work post your circuit and code:)
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:23 am     Reply with quote

If it works sometimes and not others it sounds like the clock or the voltage is marginal. Try forcing a software UART and setting the baud rate 2% high or 2% low.
Run a test and show us what you expect and the hex or binary you get, not just "smiley face".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:26 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. For now, I have moved on to other issues, and I am not actively working it. Serial communication was just a convenience item, not necessary at this time. I was just curious what the original poster had found. I will start by checking voltage levels when I get back to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: