CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Floating Point Transmission

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MicroManiac

Floating Point Transmission
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:40 am     Reply with quote

Hello,
does anyone have any idea how i can send variables of type float or double via the usb while preserving the decimal point?
Thank you

Regards

Re: Floating Point Transmission
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:37 am     Reply with quote

What are you sending the variables to? If it is not a PIC programmed by the same compiler, then you cannot be sure the internal binary format of the variable is compatible. In general, if you are sending to a totally different program (like a receiving program on a PC) then it is safer to format the variable as string (using sprint or something similar). It uses more characters, but it is more easily understood across diverse platforms.

I just realized that you said "via USB", which makes it unlikely you are sending to another PIC. In that case, I would say it is even more strongly suggested that you use decimal string format.
MicroManiac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:09 am     Reply with quote

Well, i am a newbie regarding this matter.
Can you please elaborate more on your idea, or you can send me some pointers in order to start writing the code.
Thank you

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:55 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
...Can you please elaborate more on your idea, or you can send me some pointers in order to start writing the code...

How about you first elaborate on why you want to send floating point variables over a USB interface. If you are contemplating the implementation of a USB device with a PIC, that is a strange place for a newbie to start.
MicroManiac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:15 am     Reply with quote

ok
I am not a newbie using Microchip product and developing usb devices, i am a newbie sending floating point via any interface.
I have some intensive calculations that needs to be done on the embedded level.
After these calculations are finished, i need to send the result via the USB to the PC, this is why i need to send floating point units via the USB
The data will be somehow similar to calculating the average of several points.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:42 am     Reply with quote

If the float representation is similar to the CCS's just send the 4 bytes as raw data ..

Note: there are several representations for float

Good luck Smile

Last edited by PICoHolic on Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:44 am     Reply with quote

A serial port, whether RS232 or USB, just sends a stream of bytes. These bytes can represent numbers or strings or any number of data formats. A floating point number is just another data format. Have the PIC turn the float into bytes, send the bytes serially, and the processor on the other end will have to turn the bytes into its version of a float.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:46 am     Reply with quote

You're getting some good advice on http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=394373&mpage=1&. Just follow it.

Last edited by RLScott on Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: