CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Disabling MCLR temporarily "on the run"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Torello

Disabling MCLR temporarily "on the run"
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:58 pm     Reply with quote

Hi,

The Mclr reset pin can be disabled by a configuration bit. For what I understand (chapter 23.1 18LF4620) it is possible to program the configuration bit by the pic self.

Has anyone done this? I use the Mclr, but at some (short) moments (writing to eeprom, modifying circular buffer pointers etc.), I really don't want the user to (async) reset the mcu. It will corrupt that data. Applying save copies and locking flags is quite a pain in the behind. So temporally disabling the Mclr would be great.

Any jump start sample code much appreciated

Regards,
Edwin

Last edited by Torello on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:08 am; edited 2 times in total
RLScott

Re: Disabling Mclr temporarely "on the run"
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:24 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
...I use the Mclr, but at some (short) moments (writing to eeprom, modifying circular buffer pointers etc.), I really don't want the user to (async) reset the mcu...

Why are you letting the user push the MCLR button? That should not be a user-interface item. If you design your system right, there will never be a need to do a MCLR reset at the user level.
Torello

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:28 pm     Reply with quote

Yep, you're quite right.
But at this moment it is easier to find a software workaround, than modify 200 pcb's hardware.... Wink
FvM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:34 am     Reply with quote

Two remarks:

Configuration bits are self-programmable with some PIC families, e. g. 18F, but have a limited endurance as any flash cells. They are not intended for frequent reprogramming.

In a typical application utilizing self-programming, e.g. with a bootloader, ID locations would be write protected (same as the bootloader area) to achieve fail-safe behaviour.
Torello

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:06 am     Reply with quote

Hi Fvm,

You're absolutely right! After one nights sleep, I though of that also. Assuming it would be possible, the pic would program these bits very frequently and wear out the flash.

Conclusion: idea rejected.

Thanks all!
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:25 am     Reply with quote

In most cases, where you can reprogram these bits, the change _doesn't come into effect till the next restart_.
Why not just program the pin as a normal I/O.
Have a 'heartbeat' tick inside the machine, use this for everything that needs timings, and have it as one 'job', simply read the state of the pin. If the same heartbeat is also used to reset the watchdog, based on a counter being fed from the 'main' code, when the pin is seen, you can simply stop resetting the watchdog. Have this set to some interval like perhaps 10*the heartbeat (so with a 50Hz heartbeat, perhaps a 0.2 second watchdog), and when you stop resetting it, yu will get a hardware restart. A reset 1/5th second after the pin is pushed, is quite fast enough to seem 'immediate' to a user, and since it is software controlled, you can disable it when wanted.

Best Wishes
Torello

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:11 am     Reply with quote

Hi Ttelmah,

To give some insight in "though" decisions:
The application I'm working on is fully sealed and waterproof. The user can wake up the device by activating it with a little magnet. A normal switch would not survive (salt) water.
If I would not use the Mclr, I would never be able to get out of a hangup situation (tricky). If I would make two magnetic switches, a wrong "approach" of the user would trigger a reset anyway...
Maybe using an external interrupt as reset line could be an alternative. Athough this will not absolutely aways get you out of a hangup I think.

Thanks,
Edwin
RLScott

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:39 am     Reply with quote

Torello wrote:
...If I would not use the Mclr, I would never be able to get out of a hangup situation...

You are indeed "stuck". Nothing short of a true MCLR will get the code out of a hangup where the interrupts had been disabled. But having an MCLR at the wrong time can certainly mess up an EEPROM write.

Since you have said that changing the hardware is too expensive, the best you can do is minimize the probability of EEPROM corruption.

One thing you can do with coding is to add some redundancy check to the EEPROM data, and to maintain two separate copies of the EEPROM data. When it is time to update the EEPROM data, switch to the alternate area in the EEPROM and update that (with redundancy check to ensure data integrety) so you normally have two generations of data stored. Sure, it takes twice as much EEPROM memory, but maybe you can afford it. Also maintain a counter in each of the EEPROM data areas. When it is time to read the EEPROM data, you read both copies and use the copy with the latest counter value and a valid redundancy check.

You can further reduce the probability of failure by limiting the times and frequency of EEPROM writes as much as possible, consistent with the needs of your application. If your code has any knowledge of the presense of human use (such as particular kinds of activity) then you can try to avoid EEPROM writes during those times too.
Torello

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:04 am     Reply with quote

Hi RLScott,

That is exactly what I've implemented. Note, that if one invalid set is detected at startup and the valid one is read, you want to rewrite the eeprom. Be sure to take the invalid set first! (nice pitfall).

Not only eeprom stuff but also a circular buffer (ram) pointers I need to maintain save copies. Pitfall at this is that the backup write pointer, not always exactly points to the last location written. Because you don't know if the last (interrupted) write has been completed. A possible overwrite of this location can happen, creating garbled data. etc, etc

Thanks,
Edwin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: