CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

new pic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
angel

new pic
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:57 am     Reply with quote

Hi
I am using a 16F876 pic and ccs compiler. I have some problems with the memory. After compiling my ROM is 96% and my Ram range (15%-60%). I could always opitimize the code but I lose a lot of time.
Due to the difficulties to continue programming because of the memory I am thinking of changing my PIC. Do you know a PIC that is similar to the 16F876 but with more memory ? I think the CCS performace would be much better.... maybe a PIC 18? In this case what is your favourite? Thanks.
linhnc308

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:47 am     Reply with quote

hi,
If You need more space. You can use PIC18F2620 (my favorite). It had 32KB flash. Use can choose a cheaper device name PIC18F26K20, it like 2620.
Go to MicroChip web site, and download Microchip MAP, it quite useful for you to choose a suitable device for your project.
MicroManiac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:18 am     Reply with quote

One more thing, you got a 96% ROM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dude you need to optimize your code because even if your thinking is correct, you might have errors and you will not be able to trace them.
try the PIC18f452 it is a really good device
But you need to OPTIMIZE your code before doing so

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:50 am     Reply with quote

MicroManiac wrote:
One more thing, you got a 96% ROM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dude you need to optimize your code because even if your thinking is correct, you might have errors and you will not be able to trace them.
try the PIC18f452 it is a really good device
But you need to OPTIMIZE your code before doing so

I would not use a 452 for new designs. The PIC18F4620 is pin compatible to the PIC18F452 and is the same price but the PIC18F4620 has more RAM and Program Memory

The PIC16F876/PIC16F877 can be replaced with PIC18F2620/4620 pin compatible counter parts.

However, if you are going to change families anyway, check out the PIC24 family, much more RAM and Program memory but with a significantly improved I/O subsystems. The remappable I/O pins allow 28 pin devices to be used in applications that could have have been achieved in PIC16F/PIC18F 40 pin devices.

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: