CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

CCS and USB chip and 73% rom BUG ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmer

CCS and USB chip and 73% rom BUG ?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:15 am     Reply with quote

Using CCS version 4

When code size reach around 73% 74% in a 18Fxxxx usb chip,
usb cease to work.

Even more if you use a smallest rom version of the chip usb won't work at all, because usb code reaches the 73% limit without any user code.

The same code put in a bigger rom will work tough!
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:43 am     Reply with quote

What compiler version?.
What USB implementation (CDC/HID etc.).
What actual chip family?. There are several different chip versions with USB now...
What 'else' are you doing (Bootloader? debugging? etc..).
I have the the USB serial code, in a 2450, which has just 16KB of ROM, and this only uses 39% of the ROM, including a parser for over 30 different commands, and the code to handle them. Compiling with 4.070. Have got another set of code based on the same 'core', running at 82% ROM used, and running fine.
I'd suggest you have something else, not considered as part of the 'code' (a bootloader for example), that is using perhaps 25% of your ROM, and hence leads to failure when you get to 75%.

Best Wishes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:59 pm     Reply with quote

ccs v4.005
USB CDC

18F4550
18F4458
18F2450

It could be a RAM problem also.
What I mean is that resources are problably not well evaluated.
My program works. If a add one more instruction, a copy of a good instruction,the program builds sucessfully, but USB do not work any more, does not even enumerate en pluged.

As I remember we tried CDC on 2450 and it builds, but did not work, move the same code to a bigger chip and it worked.

This king of problem are very hard to detect, because you got a success message from the compiler, resource indicators are within limits but USB CDC communication does not work.

Now you know, be suspicious!
Cordially

I think the resource indicators give you an OK when it's not!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: