CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

How to read wide range of small current - 20ua through 200ua

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How to read wide range of small current - 20ua through 200ua
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:35 am     Reply with quote

Hi guys. Thanks for your input over the past couple of years.

I need to measure the output from a constant current device that outputs an ac sine wave ranging from 20 microamps to about 200 microamps at its highest setting. This is for a simple go/nogo tester for the device.

ADC and frequency counter on the 18f887 work pretty well when output is rectified then sent to a voltage divider setup for high current mode, or manually re-setup for low current mode.

I am struggling in my newbie attempt to compress this output range, and get the measurements over the entire range without frying any components or the pic due to overvoltage.

Sorry for the hardware question. I have struggled(in a fun way, I guess) for a couple weeks with this one. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:08 am     Reply with quote

Is either end of your constant current source grounded? Are we allowed to ground either end? Ideally I would tie one end of the current source to the A/D midscale voltage and put a 5k load resistor on it. That would give a midscale +/- 1.4V signal for the A/D.

Tell us more.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:16 am     Reply with quote

You could use a op amp in the current to voltage mode to change the 20 - 200 ua to .4 - 4 volts; then feed the A/D.
Google "op amp current voltage"
newguy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:14 am     Reply with quote

When I was doing my PhD I had to build an I-V converter. It had a switchable gain (rotary switch), with gains of 10^5 to 10^9 V/A. The converter was created with double-ended (+/-) supplies for the opamps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: