CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

I2C slave. How to reset the SSP peripheral?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

I2C slave. How to reset the SSP peripheral?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:09 am     Reply with quote

Colleagues,

I have an I2C bus and occasional large quantities of EMI in my instrument. I2C bus connects two PICs: master and slave. Fortunately, I know when the EMI periods start and stop, and I don’t have to communicate over I2C only between the periods of EMI. However, EMI still gets into the I2C bus and I suspect that it sets the SSP peripheral on the slave into some bad state. I want to reset the SSP peripheral on the slave at the end of every EMI period, now can I do it?

Thanks,
Nick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:28 am     Reply with quote

I'd suggest probably disabling the peripheral, when you are not using it. (turn off the SSPEN bit), and then when you wake it back up, clear the SSPOV, and WCOL bits (the latter would only get set if you tried to write, SSPOV, is the 'likely' one to get set). So (for a 18 chip), something like:
Code:

#byte SSPCON1=0xFC6
#bit SSPEN=SSPCON1.5
#bit WCOL=SSPCON1.7
#bit SSPOV=SSPCON1.6

#define stop_i2c() SSPEN=0

#define start_i2c() SSPEN=1;\
if (SSPOV) SSPOV=0;\
if (WCOL) WCOL=0;\
while (I2C_POLL) I2C_READ()

This ought to ensure that all errors are cleared, and the I2C buffer is clear, when the peripheral is turned on.

Best Wishes
rnielsen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:52 am     Reply with quote

I2C is not recommended in environments that have high EMI. If you have no other choice you might try bit-banging the bus and not use the built-in commands.

Normal I2C buses are short which keeps them from being affected by noisy environments. I've needed to have a master talk to a slave that was 32 feet away. The normal built-in I2C commands would choke everytime so, I went to bit-banging the bus and it took care of the lock-ups. This took a bit of experimenting with delays and when/how to read the ports to check for ACK/NOACK and to check if the slave was holding the bus 'busy'.

I believe the Philips I2C specification notes the standard way to reset the bus in case it gets 'fouled' up.

Ronald
Why are there no Father-in-Law jokes?
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:14 pm     Reply with quote

rnielsen wrote:
I2C is not recommended in environments that have high EMI.

Yes. Next time I think I will use a differential asynchronous bus (CAN or RS485), even though it might end up being an overkill from every other standpoint, except EMI.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:35 am     Reply with quote

As a comment, I have had cause to use I2C, in a 'noisy' environment. My solution (which has proved very good indeed), was to completely use my own I2C code, implementing 'timeouts', inside all the driver waits, and resetting the peripheral if there were problems, combined with using a P82B96 driver, with 12v drive, twisted pair connections for the IC lines, and opto-coupling. This has been in use for a couple of years, over distances of typically about 10m, and has proven completely reliable.
I'd add, that even without this extra hardware driver, two things made all the difference. The first was the driver re-write. I have a 'tick' interrupt running at 100Hz, and when an I2C transaction starts, a counter is set. If the whole transaction has not completed when the counter reaches zero, the timeout recovery is triggered. The second thing was that if opto-coupling was not present, it was _vital_ to add your own protection on the I2C lines. Something like a transorb where the lines enter the board. If EMI spikes are reasonably large, letting these flow through the internal protection diodes, can lead to code hangups. Without the protection, or opto-coupling, I was seeing a couple of watchdog restarts an hour on test (my code will watchdog if certain operational parameters are not met). With the protection added, this dropped to zero.
For me, I2C, was a 'forced' decision on this unit, but with care, it can be made to work well.

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: