CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

cdc_NTXPVista.inf driver will not load in Vista SP1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill_Smith

cdc_NTXPVista.inf driver will not load in Vista SP1
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:06 pm     Reply with quote

O.K. Enough is enough! Now I need some expert help.

I have been trying to install the cdc_NTXPVista.inf driver all morning long and despite all my efforts, Vista refuses to load the driver.

Yes, I am logged in as the Administrator. If you let Vista try to find the driver on its own, it doesn't. When you select the C:\Program Files\PICC\Drivers directory, it finds the inf file, but then exits throwing up a dialog saying that this driver caused an internal error. I am running PCWHD version 4.071 with MPLAB 8.02. Target is a PIC18F2455, debugging via a RealICE.

I have used the cdc_NTXP driver a thousand times before in Windows XP and never ran into a problem loading it. Anyone else been in this situation?

Best Regards,

Bill
Bill_Smith

PROBLEM SOLVED
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:58 am     Reply with quote

I solved the problem. In case anyone is interested, here is the solution:

The real secret for me was locating the following Microsoft developer thread, which gave me the idea of changing the inf file. Even though this solved my problem, I still feel a bit uneasy because I don't completely understand what my file changes did to correct the problem. Never the less, the driver is now working fine in Vista.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb332198.aspx

1. Copy the cdc_NTXPVista.inf file from the CCS drivers directory to your desktop. Vista won't let you make direct file changes in the Program Files directory.
2. Open up the cdc_NTXPVista.inf file with a text editor and add Include=mdmcpq.inf to the beginning of sections [Reader.NT.Copy], [Reader.NT.AddReg], [Reader.NT.Services], and [Service_Inst]. Then copy this modified file back to your CCS drivers directory.
3. Open up the Device Manager and RIGHT-CLICK on the non-connected CCS USB device listed. Then select UPDATE DRIVER SOFTWARE.
4. Select "Browse My Computer For Driver Software".
5. Select "Let Me Pick From a List of Drivers".
6. Select the HAVE DISK button. Then navigate to the CCS drivers directory and select the cdc_NTXPVista.inf file.
7. After a few seconds you will be presented a list with three items, USB to RS232, USB to UART, and USB to UART. Only the last item, the second USB to UART worked for me. The others generated errors.

You should now receive the "Device driver is installed and working properly" dialog and the device will show up in the PORTS list of the Device Manager. Now you can RIGHT-CLICK the device and set its parameters.

I hope this post helps anyone else with this problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: