CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Should I upgrade?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbotkin

Should I upgrade?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:27 pm     Reply with quote

Hi all... it's been a while since I was here last.

I've been using PICC since V2.something. I'm currently using V3.124, and it's doing fine. However, again today I started thinking about a project that would need a chip not supported by 3.212. It's happened a few times, and with the number of new chips since 3.212 was released it's going to be an issue soon.

The last time I was regularly watching threads here, 4.x was pretty buggy still, and people weren't too happy. I would assume that's changed by now. My issue is, I have an application that is currently using all but the last 6 or 8 words of program memory on a 12F683 -- meaning there's nowhere to go from there; there hasn't been anything to surpass the '683 yet and I don't know if there ever will be. In the past, I saw problems where new compiler versions would actually use more program memory than older versions - it usually got fixed, but not always right away.

I want to upgrade for the new parts, but I'd hate to have to keep the 3.212 compiler alive to maintain that one project. So, my questions are...

Is V4.069 working properly, and more or less free of annoying bugs on 12, 14 and 16 bit parts (10F, 12F, 16F, 18F)?

Does code compiler any better/smaller with 4.x that with 3.212?

Are there any "killer" new features I'm missing, ignoring for now support for dsPIC and all?

Help me out here... thanks!

Dale
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:33 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:

Is V4.069 working properly ?

Basically, it is. I would get vs. 4.070 when it comes out (probably soon)
because it fixes some bugs that were found in the last few weeks.

Quote:
Does code compiler any better/smaller with 4.x that with 3.212?

You need to post a test program, if you want us to do a comparison.
RLScott

Re: Should I upgrade?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:35 pm     Reply with quote

It seems that supporting a new chip should not be a necessary reason to have to upgrade the compiler - provided CCS gave us one thing: the ability to specify configuration fuses with a hex value. It may be different now, but in the 3.242 PCM compiler that I am using, the only option is to specify configuration fuses with a list of symbols that are associated with the particular PIC device. In the 14-bit cores, for example, a new chip differs from other chips in the configuration bits, perhaps in the configuration word address, and in the SFRs. I never use the CCS-supplied library of peripheral functions - I talk to the SFRs directly. So a new chip would not be a problem for me in that regard. That leaves the configuration bits as the only item needing to be customized to a given chip. In a different thread on this subject, I even went so far as to suggest that someone could use an older version of the CCS compiler by selecting a similar chip with the same core, and then editing the Intel HEX file to add the final line containing the configuration bits. It is not too hard, and once you figure it out for a given project, it remains the same. A simple post-processing program could even be written to remove the irrelevant configuration bits line and add the correct one. However, this nonsense would be unnecessary if CCS provided something like:

#Fuses 0x3FFC, 0x2007

which would mean to emit Intel HEX for address 0x2007 containing 0x3FFC.

Robert Scott
Real-Time Specialties
baltazar_aquino

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:36 am     Reply with quote

There are even instances where you won't need the fuses at all as in the case of using a bootloader since the fuses area cannot be accessed by the bootloader. Also, in the final stage of burning your hex file, there are some programmers (like mine - GTP-USB) that would allow you to modify the fuse settings so the #FUSE issue has some solutions. My concern is, up to what level is the "support" of a given compiler version to the chip? Example:
If a chip is not supported by my current version and I do some works in creating my own header file for that chip based on Microchip documentation, will it compile assuming I have the correct port of the *.inc code from Microchip? Or there is still a library hidden somewhere that counter checks the supported devices? This is same as the case of a header file for a known supported device got corrupted and instead of going through my installer, I reconstructed my own header file based on the chip documentation/ *.inc. CCS C has a good answer to this, definitely.

Baltazar
RLScott

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:43 am     Reply with quote

The custom header file that you need is not a replacement for the CCS-supplied headers. It is in addition. I use my own custom headers even when the device is fully supported by CCS. For example, in a recent 16F630 project, I have in my own header file things like:

Code:

#byte PortA=0x05
  #define PBbit 2
#byte PortC=0x07
  #define PhonePositive 0b011111
  #define PhoneNegative 0b100000
  #define PhoneOff      0b000000
#byte PCLATH=0x0a
#byte INTCON=0x0b
  #define GIE  7
  #define PEIE 6
  #define T0IE 5
  #define INTE 4
  #define RAIE 3
  #define T0IF 2
  #define INTF 1
  #define RAIF 0
#byte PIR1=0x0c
  #define EEIF   7
  #define ADIF   6
  #define CMIF   3
  #define TMR1IF 0
#byte TMR1L=0x0e
#byte TMR1H=0x0f

Then in my program I access the SFRs as if they were RAM locations using statements like:

Code:

if(!bit_test(PortA,PBbit))   //..that means PB is "on"
. . .
TRISC = lookuptable[lookupindex & 0b01111111];
. . . etc.

In most cases I can make a new header file quite quickly because Microchip puts most of the SFRs at the same addresses in different chips of the same family.

Robert Scott
Real-Time Specialties
Guest_7068

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:06 am     Reply with quote

You can add support for new chips if you have the IDE version of the compiler using the device editor. The device editor modifies the database that has all the chip information and this is where all the magic happens.
The device header file is pretty much useless if you are writing your own peripheral drivers. Apart from the peripheral function definitions, the header file has the interrupt identifiers (#INT_XX) and the pin defines used for I/O.
baltazar_aquino

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:46 am     Reply with quote

Upgrade is really just an Option. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: