CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Gyro and accelero

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xavier

Gyro and accelero
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:47 am     Reply with quote

Hello everybody from France

I'm trying to build a low cost Segway.
I didn't find anything with a pic on the WEB

Gyro and accelero are not cheap but I found something interresting
http://ndsmotion.com/
The DS Motion Card is an tri-axis accelerometer and single-axis gyroscope for 30$ !!!

Does someone have use it ? do you think it could work for my project ?

Any help appreciated
Thanks in advance
Xavier
libor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:25 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
I didn't find anything with a pic on the WEB

Are you sure, you have googled for 'segway diy PIC' or 'balancing robot Microchip' or some similar combination of these synonyms ?
xavier

Gyro and accelero
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:58 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Libor,

I was not clear in my first post, and i wanted to know if someone used this DS motion card with a PIC.

The second question was to know if for my project it could work ?

Many thanks for the link via google Smile always interresting to learn from other similar project.

PS : what DIY mean ? (is it do it yourself ?)

Xavier
libor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:54 am     Reply with quote

We are here already a small subset of PIC users, so dividing us further to users of a DS motion card can result a rather small number of people. Smile

I think your project could work. (though a self-balacing robot may not be a project to begin with..) Look for the caveats well collected on this page http://www.tlb.org/scooter.html (under the 'Rolls Royce vs Model T' paragraph) pointing out some (more or less serious) drawbacks of not using hi-tech custom-manufactured parts.

Yes, DIY stands for do it yourself.

After some googling on the web I have learned that Nintendo and so the DS motion card also uses an SPI bus as an interface. There must be many projects on the web utilizing this bus of a Nintendo. So I think, you can find the pinout easily.

I also found that the DS motion card uses a Kionix KXPB5 3-axis axelerometer (this device has SPI bus) you can find this chip's datasheet here or www.kionix.com (look at the application notes also)
so, i think you can gather all the information to write some code to begin with.

You may find more PIC projects, examples with the ADXL-series accelerometers. These (older, so more widespread) ICs have pwm (or rather some pulse-position-coding if i remember right) or an analog inteface. You have an advantage of having a digital data bus with this Kionix chip. So you only have to change (simplify) the interface part of any example using the ADXL series.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: