CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Disable uart TX pin, setup_uart(0)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root

Disable uart TX pin, setup_uart(0)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:13 am     Reply with quote

I need some help.

DeviceA rx <-{ttl rs232 5V} Pic 16F688 <-> {ttl rs232 3.3V} Device GPS

I get serial data from GPS. The data gets passed on to A. After x amount of time, I need to stop sending data to A and bring the tx pin to float/low/high ?, to allow device A to go into a sleep mode. A will go to sleep as it sees no serial device connected.

setup_uart(0) works, but also disables the RX pin. I need to continue to receive data from GPS, even if A is in sleep mode.

If I use rs232 without the xmit pin specified, it leaves the xmit pin in a high state. It needs to be in a state as setup_uart(0) would have left it in. Don’t know if it is low or floating. The issue here is Device A still sees a rs232 connected and refuse to go into sleep mode.

---
//setup_uart(0); // Disables RX also, no good
#use rs232(baud=4800, rcv=pin_C5, PARITY=N, BITS=8, ERRORS); // Leaves pin_C4/xmit in high, no good

Wait for external interrupt while get data from RX;

//setup_uart(1);
#use rs232(baud=4800, xmit=pin_C4, rcv=pin_C5, PARITY=N, BITS=8, ERRORS);

Pic 16F688
CCSC compiler 4.059

Thanks

root
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:07 am     Reply with quote

Code:

#byte TXSTA=0x16
#bit TXEN=TXSTA.5
#bit TXTRIS=0x87.4

#define transmit_on() TXTRIS=1;TXEN=1
#define transmit_off() TXEN=0

Use 'transmit_off' to turn off the UART TX pin, and 'transmit_on' to enable it.
If you want to pull the pin high/low, then update the TRIS bit, or perform a output on the bit after disabling the transmit. The default will be for the pin to behave as an input, once the transmit is disabled. The 'on' function, automatically sets the tris bit 'back' to input mode as required for the UART to work.

Best Wishes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:01 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. I will try the suggested tonight and give feedback later. So simple if one knows how to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: