CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Max EEPROM erase cycles using write/read_eeprom()

View previous topic :: View next topic  
caddy

Max EEPROM erase cycles using write/read_eeprom()
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:48 pm     Reply with quote

Hi

I know for most PIC 18s that the maximum number of writes to the EEPROM is around 1,000,000.

What I am wondering is, is this per byte? Ie, if there are 1024 bytes in the EEPROM, can I write each byte 1,000,000 times (totalling 1024*1,000,000), or do I just get the 1,000,000 writes in total, regardless of where the destination is?

If its the latter, is there any way, using CCS functions, that I can write more than one byte in a single cycle?

Thanks
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:27 am     Reply with quote

OK. First thing, for reasonable reliability, always use the 'minimum' figure in the data sheet. Otherwise you will get the odd chip that gives problems well before the 'typical' figure.
It is 'erase/write' endurance. On the EEPROM, when a cell is written, it is automatically erased before write. This is done on a 'per cell' basis. This differs from the program memory, where a whole 'block' is erased.
However there is a separate specification that comes into play, with data that is changing, which is "number of total erase/write cycles before refresh". Basically, you have a reliable total number of cycles of 1024*100K (using the minimum spec, rather than the 'typical' spec), but after the 'number of total erase/write cycles', the whole contents should be refreshed (read, and written back). This is because there is a fractional leakage as cells are erased/written, affecting all the other cells in the memory. This is typically 10* the individual cell life.

Best Wishes
caddy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:01 am     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
OK. First thing, for reasonable reliability, always use the 'minimum' figure in the data sheet. Otherwise you will get the odd chip that gives problems well before the 'typical' figure.
It is 'erase/write' endurance. On the EEPROM, when a cell is written, it is automatically erased before write. This is done on a 'per cell' basis. This differs from the program memory, where a whole 'block' is erased.
However there is a separate specification that comes into play, with data that is changing, which is "number of total erase/write cycles before refresh". Basically, you have a reliable total number of cycles of 1024*100K (using the minimum spec, rather than the 'typical' spec), but after the 'number of total erase/write cycles', the whole contents should be refreshed (read, and written back). This is because there is a fractional leakage as cells are erased/written, affecting all the other cells in the memory. This is typically 10* the individual cell life.

Best Wishes

Thanks ttelmah. I am assuming each 'cell' is a byte. So basically, you are saying:

1) I get a theoretical minimum 100K writes per byte
2) after I have used up the 100K, i must refresh the contents of the EEPROM because there may have become errors from leakage? But how could I know what the data was if there were errors?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:31 am     Reply with quote

Take the 18F2525 as an example. In the data sheet, table 26-1, you have the predicted best case life for the byte, of 100K cycles. So changeing the byte being used, you have a total of 1024*100Kcycles. But specification D124, gives the refresh required value (1M min), so after writing just 10*100K values (using 10 bytes to their limit, or the whole memory, taking perhaps 1024*1K operations), you then need to refresh the _whole_ memory. The refresh, is needed to actually reach the expected 'per cell' life, based on how many writes have been performed to the whole memory. So to get the full life, the memory will need to be refreshed 100*, to reach the expected total life.
Consider seriously, approaching this a different way. If you have a value that is changing a lot, keep it in RAM. If the power fails, _then_ save it to the EEPROM. It is relatively easy, to add a supply level detector circuit, to say that the incoming supply is failing, and write the value at this point. You can even have it write on a watchdog restart, if the value in RAM doesn't match the value in memory as well (do this before variables are initialised), this way, if the system crashes, it also writes the value. I did a counter system like this some years ago, which if the count was written on every operation, could have used the EEPROM life in a very few days. Some of these have been running continuously for several years, without problems.

Best Wishes
valemike

Is there an IC for this?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:57 pm     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
It is relatively easy, to add a supply level detector circuit, to say that the incoming supply is failing, and write the value at this point.

I am also faced with the issue of frequent writes to the eeprom. In my case, every pushbutton press on a keypad may save a configuration value in eeprom. And what's even worse, is that i now have to introduce a CRC check byte in eeprom. This byte in eeprom allocated for the CRC will particularly get hard hit.

I am interested in the supply level circuit. Do I simply take a 4.5V watchdog supervisor, and hook it up to an interrupt-on-change i/o? I'm afraid that my supply voltage will decay very rapidly if power is removed because i am also runnng two relays (with 5V coils) from the same regulared LM340 (5Volt) supply.

Or is there some other internal mechanism in today's PICs that i'm not aware about, which will give me a small window of time to save a dozen eeprom bytes?

I'm thinking instead of just going with an external FRAM.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:18 pm     Reply with quote

FRAM is a good solution.
However the key is how fast can you turn off the relays. Are these 5v?.
If they are not 5v, then you can use a supply supervisor IC on the higher rail, for earlier detection. However if there is enough capacitance to give a reasonably smooth supply with the load of the relays, if you turn these off (and every other peripheral in use), you will generally find the supply capacitors then provide plenty of 'write time'.
Remember that the time to droop one volt, is calculable. Taking a typical PIC, that perhaps draws under 20mA when running on it's own, 0.4mF, will give 1/50th second, for the supply to fall 1v. Given that the rails will often have 470uF (0.47mF), and that you can write 5 bytes in this time, achieving the hold-up, is not hard. Your write code, should then stop, and simply loop monitoring the voltage. If it recovers, then a clean 'restart', without actually stopping operation, should be triggered.

Best Wishes
valemike

What can corrupt the eeprom? PIC18F458
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:58 pm     Reply with quote

Yes they are 5V, SPDT relays. I'm going to have to experiment with eeprom saves during brown-outs, under heavy load, and see if i can get reliable data saves over several trials.

Since we're on the topic of internal eeprom, do you occasionally encounter some units whose certain eeprom bytes just don't get saved properly?

I've encountered 1 out of 50 units that do so. In such an event that the value read from eeprom is an unrealistic number (i only accept a range of 1 to 10), then I switch to default operating values.
JimHearne

Re: Is there an IC for this?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:24 am     Reply with quote

valemike wrote:
I'm afraid that my supply voltage will decay very rapidly if power is removed because i am also runnng two relays (with 5V coils) from the same regulared LM340 (5Volt) supply.

The first thing your power fail code needs to do is turn off all the outputs it can to minimise power drain, relays, leds etc.
The write the values to the eeprom.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: