CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

printf without #use...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franck

printf without #use...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:24 am     Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

Is it possible to use printf without #use rs232... initialisation ? In other words, can I initialize the uart myself and then use printf ?

I would like to do that to be as close as possible of ansi C. I don't like to use buil-in functions.

Regards.
Franck
Douglas Kennedy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:26 am     Reply with quote

I'll bet the answer is no unless you want to set the bits in the control registers directly and probably incurring not only non standard C but even incompatibilities between various PIC's. Printf is built into all c compilers that support it. At some point in the process the rubber has to hit the road and an ascii char has to be serialized and sent out of a specific pin bit by bit at a specific baud rate with added features like stop bits and parity. #use RS232 supplies the pins for TX and Rx, baud parity etc. its necessary information. Remember PICs are silicon devices with specific features. When your universal view of C hits the silicon only the features that are in silicon will work. PICs aren't designed to support every feature of C but CCS C is designed to support every feature of PIC's. The CCS C extensions via built in functions for me represent the PIC features in silicon. For example if the PIC has I2c and you wish to use I2c then # UseI2C makes that feature available.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:32 am     Reply with quote

It is perfectly possible.
All you do, is generate your own 'print a byte' function (instead of putc), and call printf, with:

printf(your_function_name,definitions",stuff to send);

Best Wishes
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:42 am     Reply with quote

This thread has sample code:
http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26631
Humberto

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:59 am     Reply with quote

Douglas Kennedy wrote:
Quote:

1) When your universal view of C hits the silicon only the features that are in silicon will work.
2) PICs aren't designed to support every feature of C but CCS C is designed to support every feature of PIC's.

These that seems obvious, are the best definitions that I have read regarding the continuous
dispute of embedded C & ANSI C.

Humberto

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:07 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer. I missed the thread talking about this.

Douglas, I don't to write pure ansi C code for fun. But the less the program is compiler dependant, the more portable it is. If I design a device for a customer and give him the source code, what happend if the guy want the program to be compatible with his compiler ?
Douglas Kennedy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:44 am     Reply with quote

Guest says
Quote:
I don't to write pure ansi C code for fun.

Having source code that in its ideal form will run on every compiler and run on every piece of silicon....well why wouldn't everyone want that? The issue is with the silicon ....the PIC devices we have are targeted to specific applications...the silicon to do everything is missing. Some might argue PIC's should be like Intel CPU's and able to play DVD's and run multi-megabyte operating systems and come with 500W power supplies. Perhaps that will be the future. For now PIC's are utilitarian and come in many varieties each with its own niche market. The application picks the PIC and the PIC the compiler its very spartan in its bottom up concept. The minimal amount of silicon up to the task is chosen and everything follows from that. Some say the world we live in ( electro-magnetism) is just electrons moving from place to place. The pragmatic energy efficient approach is to only move the electrons that are needed for each application no more no less.
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:57 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't to write pure ansi C code for fun.

I am not willing to sacrifice product size, weight, battery life, or anything else that matters to the end user for the sake of ANSI compatibility. I do use CCS C instead of assembler because that cuts end product cost. If using 8 bit integers means I can use a slower crystal, I will get longer battery life which can increase product sales. ANSI compatibility doesn't do that for me.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: