CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Scenix SX microcontroller programming and CCS SX-C compiler

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Boucher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:52 pm     Reply with quote

Has anyone ever written a program using the CCS C compiler for Scenix SX devices and managed to get the resulting hex file into the chip? I have the Parallax SX-Key and it is supposed to be able to load the appropriate files using the command prompt (i.e. sxkey.exe /b @source C:\SXC\MyCode\%1 where %1 is the source filename) but all it does is complain about the "COD" file format. CCS hasn't responded to my inquiries on this subject and Parallax says they've provided the correct COD format to CCS and so it's not a Parallax issue. CCS has a short page about it online but it is out of date and doesn't work anyway. If you've used the CCS SX C compiler and have programmed your parts, please let me know what programmer or precise method you've used. I've programmed SX parts in its native assembler and the new SX Basic (free but very limited compared to Stamp Basic) using the SX-Key device but I'd like to move to the CCS compiler because it will be easier to write complex programs and it will be much more powerful as well. Consider functions such as printf, long vars, complex math, functions passing arguements, etc. Now if I can only find out how to get the programs into the durned chippies!
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:12 am     Reply with quote

First comment. I am astonished if a programmer used the .COD format!. .COD, is a format to allow the inclusion of debugging information for emulator systems, and using this to feed a programer is 'silly'!....
Second comment. Parallax have nothing to do with the .COD format. It is designed and the property of ByteCraft, and CCS, do seem to follow their guidelines for the format, on the PIC compilers at least.
Now there are two .COD formats in use. The first is the 'standard', and more recently, an'extended' version has been created, carrying more debugging information. If the SX compiler is like the one for the PIC's, it can generate either format. Adding '+DC' to the command line, generates the extended format, while '+DS', generates the standard format. If you have not tried these, try using the same syntax on your compile line, and see if one generates the right format. This was the cause of a few problems a while ago, when the MicroChip MPLAB system switched formats, and the CCS PIC compiler was still defaulting to the other format.
Have you also checked for text files in the compiler directory?. CCS, have a 'habit' of including quite important information in a number of text files in the compiler directory, and then if they receive questions that are already answered in these, not replying....
Good Luck.

Best Wishes
Bill Boucher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:28 pm     Reply with quote

To: Ttelmah

Actually, the SX-Key in-circuit programmer for Scenix chips from Parallax is also a full debugger so that likely explains why it loads .COD files.

The CCS SX C compiler's Windows environment provides dialogs to set compile options and I have tried both standard and extended versions and both fail to load into SX-Key.

Your right of course about .COD files originating from ByteCraft. They provided their format to Parallax quite a while ago (hence SX-Key is using it) and more recently they provided it to CCS. It would seem that CCS is not adhering to the format exactly (since its files will not load into SX-Key). Either that our Parallax deviated from the format but adjusted their own SX-Key to suit making "correct" files incompatible. Parallax claims 100% adherance to the format but CCS will not comment and following the instructions on their page regarding SX-Key use with the compiler has broken links and a procedure that fails. I feel that even though I use the PICC compiler daily and 100% successfully, I've wasted my money on the SX C compiler.

Thanx for the help. I appreciate it.

To those at CCS, I am not attempting to criticize your SX compiler product. I'm sure it is very powerful and useful and I want to use it. I just am dead-in-the-water until I find a way to get the compiled code into the chips. An updated online instruction page or free compiler manual file would be nice. I think that's the least I deserve since I've purchased the product and it has never been useful due to the programming setback.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:28 pm     Reply with quote

One 'bodge' that might apply. Can the unit upload a .hex file just as a programmer rather than a debugger?. After all, if you were generating simple .hex, from an assembler, this is all you would have, if it didn't support debugging. obviously it'll make debugging a pain, since you won't have access to the symbolic information, but it might allow you to program the chip.

Best Wishes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:27 pm     Reply with quote

Ttelmah wrote:
One 'bodge' that might apply. Can the unit upload a .hex file just as a programmer rather than a debugger?. After all, if you were generating simple .hex, from an assembler, this is all you would have, if it didn't support debugging. obviously it'll make debugging a pain, since you won't have access to the symbolic information, but it might allow you to program the chip.

Best Wishes

No, the SX-Key cannot just oad a hex file. I wish it did.
Bill Boucher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:50 pm     Reply with quote

I did eventually solve this problem and I have been able to load SXC programs into SX chips using SX-Key. I wrote up the solution in a pdf file. If anyone ever wants it, email a request for it to me at bill.boucher@siemens.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: