CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Strange radio comunication problem.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuzzy

Strange radio comunication problem.
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:37 pm     Reply with quote

HI,

I found out a curious problem yesterday and i still can't undertand it.
I programmed a transmitter and it's radioreceiver using pic16f88. I transmit data from RS232 Pin and i read bata in RS232PIn of another PIC.
I usually connect hem by radio modules. When I wrote firmware everithing worked OK. I produced 50 devices working perfectly.
Now i'm producing other 50 devices but i've got a big problem. I downloaded firmaware on them and they don't work as good as other
some(few) work good but others work very very bad. i would like to understand if it can be a PIC problem or a transmitter/receiver problem.
for example with previous production transmitter , new receiver don't work
while they can work with new production transmitter. and old production receiver works good with both production transmitter. I tryed calibrating internal 8mhz pic's clock and one of them worked better with calibration =-2.
topmorrow i'l try tranferring pic from a old production board to a new production one with same firmaware and maybe i'll understand better.

Anyone has a similar experience?
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:00 pm     Reply with quote

Call the radio manufacturer and ask them for a detailed list of changes
between the new version and the old version. This would include
signal timing, logic levels on i/o pins, performance over temperature
range, initialization sequences, commands, etc. -- All changes.
RossJ

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:34 pm     Reply with quote

It sounds like your first problem is to determine whether the problem is a radio one (module to module) or a serial one (module to/from PIC).

The way I usually go about detecting serial problems is to monitor the communication (passively) with a PC. An invaluable tool is a simple cable which connects the receive and transmit lines back to a PC's receive line on two COM ports. This allows you to monitor the data flow in both directions between the PIC and radio module. I use a program called Docklight (http://www.docklight.de/) on the PC to view the data. Note, if the voltage levels you are monitoring are TTL (i.e. a direct connection between PIC and module), you will need to add a MAX232 or similar level converter into the monitor cable.

If you do much with RS232 type serial comms, this is an invaluable tool.

A quick check you can make is to count the number of framing errors detected by the PIC. With a short direct wired connection, the number of errors should be extremely low.

Another thing to consider is voltage levels. The radio module I use is powered from 5 volts, but internally runs at 3.3 volts. The inputs are 5 volt tolerant, but the outputs are only 3.3 volts. On the 18 series PIC I am using, the USART pins have schmitt trigger inputs. The voltage thresholds are incompatible with 3.3 volt signals. Having said that, it usually works. But perhaps not always.

/Ross.
fuzzy

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:02 pm     Reply with quote

I made some experiments. I found out it's a pic problem.
I swapped pic between an old device and a new one and the not working new one begun working nice while the old one didn't work as well.
then i used a pic 16f87 i had for other purpose and device bean working perfectly.
I can see that the new 16f8 pic don't work in receiver but work in transimitter very well, i think i'm going to change all of them. I also found out that device works good witha pic16F88/ESS intead of 16F88/ISS

why does it happen in your opinion??
Humberto

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:49 pm     Reply with quote

Are you aware of a Microchip silicon errata that will affect the internal RC oscillator in
16F87/88 under special conditions?
Read this, may be you can apply a work around.

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/80171k.pdf

Humberto
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: