CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Photo sensor current too low

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eugeneo

Photo sensor current too low
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:50 am     Reply with quote

This is a little off topic since it is not a compiler question but here goes.

I'm trying to read a sensor that has 40 nano amps max output. Here's my setup.

OPA129 opamp which has an untral-low bias current of 100fA max.

I'm using a 100 meg I feedback resistor, so in theory the output should be 4volts at 40 nano amps (40na * 100 megohm). Instead all my test equipment reads 1-20mv.

Board traces are goood and flux has all been removed.

Standard FR4 PCB board

When using a voltage follower with no gain the output voltage is over 1000mv, and I've tried different sensors.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
newguy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:27 am     Reply with quote

Can you post a schematic? It's a little hard to follow your description of the circuit.
Eugeneo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:40 am     Reply with quote

This is the exact setup I have with the exception of Rf being 10^8
The -V and +V have less than 500 nv of ripple at 10v, but I don't think this should matter.
All capacitors are very low ESR.

One thing concerns me, there is a linear voltage output measured at the ouput of the opamp in the mv as the sensor is excited. Is there anything else I could look at?

http://members.shaw.ca/eugeneo/schem.bmp

This is the sensor

http://members.shaw.ca/eugeneo/PDU-S101.pdf

And this is the opam

http://members.shaw.ca/eugeneo/opa129.pdf
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:07 pm     Reply with quote

Do you really need to use the diode in photovoltaic mode?. This is much less sensitive than using photoconductive mode. Photovoltaic mode, is the preferred mode for really small levels (because of the lower noise), so this may be where you are coming from. The active area is small, so unless your source is very well focussed, a lot of the light may not be influencing the current. What is the source power?.
What is the wavelength of the source?. The 0.14A/W, is a peak figure, and if your light source is down nearer to 200nm, the responsivity falls to only 0.02A/W.
Remember that the cell itself, has a internal resistance (typicfied at 500MR), which is also loading the signal, as well as the current drawn by the inputs.

Best Wishes
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:19 pm     Reply with quote

Try substituting a small battery and a large resistor for the sensor. Start with a combination that gives 1000X the current you are expecting from the sensor, a current you can actually measure and verify, and make sure your circuit behaves. Then work your simulated sensor current down to real levels, and finally use the real sensor.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:41 am     Reply with quote

Thank you guys for the help

Ttelmah wrote:
Do you really need to use the diode in photovoltaic mode?

I assumed that if I used this sensor in photoconductive mode, a source reference volage would be required (another source of noise) and the overal result would be simular since a current loop is still required. Also, when the sensor is setup in voltage follower mode, the measured output was close to 2 volts.

Ttelmah wrote:

The active area is small, so unless your source is very well focussed, a lot of the light may not be influencing the current. What is the source power?.
What is the wavelength of the source?. The 0.14A/W, is a peak figure, and if your light source is down nearer to 200nm, the responsivity falls to only 0.02A/W.

I think you maybe right. I've done the test that SherpaDoug suggested, with some interesting results.

Doug's Test:
Using a 1.00volt supply connected to 50Mohm resistor supplied to the inputs resulted in a 1.998 volt output. When I reverse the input polarity, -1.987. This means even with a 5% 50Mohm resistor, bias current, and offset error, the output was pretty much that of an ideal opamp.

At this point I can only say the opamp circuit is functioning corretly at these current levels. I'll try some tests with 500M-1G ohm (almost seems silly to be using these values) to confirm this.

So... It must be 1 of 2 things. The sensor in which all three show the same results. Or the UV palm erase source which is supposed to be 200 to 240 NM and a butane torch (supposed to produce a measureable UV signature).

Thanks again guys, I'll continue forward.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: