CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Picstart Plus upgrade

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaybmiller

Picstart Plus upgrade
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:23 am     Reply with quote

I'm in the process of replacing the 'old' 16F877s with 'new' 12F683s and/or 16F648as in some products.Obvioulsy need to order new C complier but first have to upgrade the hardware.Got the PUM kit,installed, installed MPLAB 5.70 and great...doesn't work. When I go to download OS to upgrade the firmware in the PS+, no dialog box pops up with the choice of the new .hex file to download.Also can't access a 16F877 in the programmer. My PS+ is and R4 ( old, just like me) and I've done all that Microchip has said to do. I have noticed that the serial cable pinout in the help file is different than what I have that's worked for 9 years!
Can anyone shed some light on what I have to do to make it all work? I do not want to buy the new CCS C compiler before I get the hardware up and running. All help is appreciated.
BTW MPLAB 5.70.40 has been fine for the past month or so using asm and C(v2.681) on both F84s and F877s.

Jay
davekelly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:57 am     Reply with quote

The Microchip forums are the best place for this query.

R4 is on the cusp of the revision for the PUM working.

Refer to http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=228296
mindstorm88

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:16 am     Reply with quote

I have a Rev. 0 (yes the real first series) that work great with the PUM ,your problem is your MPLAB version
here from Microchip :
Quote:
MPLAB IDE versions 6.40 and higher have the ability to download firmware into the PICSTART Plus that has been upgraded to use the PUM. This option cannot be used if the PICSTART Plus contains a PIC17C44.

jaybmiller

ps+ upgrade
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:54 am     Reply with quote

Hello Mindstorm. Can't believe someone has an older PS+. Just downloaded MPLAB7.51 and it doesn't work either with the PUM. It's ok with the 17C44 though. Can you check the wiring of your serial cable please? The table in the help file( I made one like it) doesn't work,unlike my 9 year old cable. Also when you selct 'download OS' do you get a window with files to choose from? I never do, and the MPLAB help files down show 'screenshots' of what to expect,ugh.
Man instead of going forward, I keep sliding back further.
All this just to 'roll my own' PS2 kbd interface instead of spending 20 bucks for one,arrrgh.....

tHANKS FOR ANY HELP, MICROCHIP IS SLOW.......ar, caps lock.

Jay
mindstorm88

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:15 am     Reply with quote

you don't have to change the cable , i'm still using the same i got with it 12 years ago !!!!

re-install your 17C44 , then confirm with your old cable that it is ok with the new MPLAB , then put PUM back in, try using the same cable , if you cannot get communication , then ask Microchip for picstart replacement as stated on their PUM page !!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: