CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Which is better and why?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
picnaut

Which is better and why?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:59 pm     Reply with quote

Hello,

I’m considering two C-compilers for PIC right now: HITECH and CCS.
With as little bias as possible, please tell me which you like better and why?

I’m trying to make an informed decision.

Cheers,

Picnaut

Picnaut
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:42 pm     Reply with quote

I think it depends what you want to do.
CCS, has the advantage of making it very easy to do basic code, with a lot more comprehensive internal libraries and functions. It has a number of disadvantages though. It doesn't have a linker, making construction of modularised libraries, or linking components from other sources very hard. The support for the newest chips is 'patchy', and some standard C constructs (pointers to functions etc.), don't work.
Some of the compiler shortcuts are quite useful, and are lacking on the ANSI-C compliant Hitech compiler.
Fixes for most of the shortcomings have been advertised and promised for V4, but few of these new features yet work at all. Also some patches implemented for previous problems, have stopped parts ofthe generated code working as they should. Interrupt handling, and SPI/I2C handling in particular is 'poor'.
So, for small projects I'd suggest CCS, but if this is to be a reasonably large project, look at the Microchip C18, or HiTech.

Best Wishes
jma_1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:31 am     Reply with quote

Cost can be a big factor. The hitech compiler is very pricey ~$1000 just for the PIC18 version. The ccs compiler is very reasonable (~$175 for the command line pic18; $425 for IDE 12, 14, pic18). Another thing to consider is if you need an RTOS. I believe the SALVO RTOS works out of the box with the hitech compiler. The ccs compiler has an RTOS version, but only available with the windows version. I have not used either RTOS.

Microchip has started to use the ccs compiler in their product demonstrations / presentations. This is a very good sign as to the ease of use and quality of the product. On the other hand the application notes provided by Microchip are for the hitech compiler.

Alternatively, use assembly language for small projects and the free MPLAB tool.

If you are a considering compilers for personal use, you might want to consider the free and shareware tools. Check out the SDCC retargetable compiler (Z80, 8051, pic, etc). There are also many others.

Both ccs and hitech offer a demo version. Download each and 'kick the tires'.

Cheers,
JMA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: