CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

MCLR/VPP/RE3 pin termination...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeValencia

MCLR/VPP/RE3 pin termination...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:10 am     Reply with quote

I am currently using a PIC18F458 whose VPP pin was designated as "VPP/MCLR" and could NOT be used as an i/o pin. Then came the next generation of PICs: PIC18F4580, where the pin can now be designated as an general purpose I/O so long as you configured it as such in the #fuse settings.

So the old way of doing things was to tie the VPP/MCLR line to +5V so the PIC wouldn't reset, and also connect this line to pin 1 of the ICD.

With these newer PICs, can I keep this pin as an unused dangling output, which i'll shoot a '1' out of it? What happens then when an ICD attempts to re-program it? Won't I exceed currents and fry something? Or is there some mechanism in the PIC that safely recognizes a high voltage on that pin as a programming voltage, and i won't fry it?
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:56 am     Reply with quote

To solve this problem on a 16F628 design (in which the NOMCLR fuse
was used), I kept the MCLR pin as an input, and put an external 47K
pull-down resistor on it. There's no problem with the initial programming
or with re-programming. An ICD2 is used for ICSP programming.
This is a +5v design, running on an external 4 MHz crystal.
MikeValencia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:50 am     Reply with quote

Thanks PCM.
Looks like the only time that i can configure RE3/VPP as an output is when I am NOT using ICSP!

I managed to dig up an old email from an Arrow FAE on some VPP issues:

Quote:
Mike,

If operating at 5 volts, a 1K pull up and 4.7 K pull down allows the pin to swing from 0 to 4.1 volts which works regardless of the design note says.

If you would prefer to use a pull down, I now not use less than 1K since it would require a fairly high source current to support a logic high. A 4.7K to 10K pull down would be preferable.

Remember, the Vpp - MCLR pin will have a high voltage (greater than 10 volts) applied when programming. Take care that it is not connected to anything else on your board that can not take the 10+ volts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: