CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

cheap PIC w/ CAN?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jma_1

cheap PIC w/ CAN?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:36 am     Reply with quote

Greetings,

I'm looking for suggestions on an inexpensive 8 bit processor with CAN. The PIC 18F2480 looks like the least inexpensive offered by Microchip. The part is ~ $5 - 6 with extended temperature range and quantity. However, I do not need all the 25 I/O pins (overkill). I'm looking for ~ 10 I/O with CAN (but cheaper < $5).

Any suggestions? How about Atmel, Siemens, TI, Holtek, Renesas, Freescale or ? How about using an FPGA w/ a soft-core CAN module?

Thanks for your time,

JMA
jecottrell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:53 pm     Reply with quote

PIC (get it?) your MCU and then add a CAN transceiver (MCP2551 $1.45 ea. @ Digikey).

Quick, simple, and easy.... No?

Good luck,

John
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:18 pm     Reply with quote

jecottrell wrote:
Quick, simple, and easy.... No?

Not quite that simple (at least for me). There should also be a hardware suppot for CAN on the PIC or MCP2515, shouldn't it?
jecottrell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:17 pm     Reply with quote

Nick,

I just looked at an app note AN212 and it uses a MCP2510 then a MCP2551. So apparently more hardware is involved, i.e. a CAN controller then a CAN driver. I'm learning as I go.......

So, to use a smaller PIC would require two extra peripheral devices with their added cost, complexity, and supporting components.

I would go with the PIC with on board CAN and leave the unused IO alone....

John

Last edited by jecottrell on Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Storic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:15 pm     Reply with quote

Yep,
I went through a similar exercise where I wanted to use a small 24F micro, it looks like I will be using the 100 Pin version for the peripherals instead of adding the extra's. As for the spare pins, I layed the board out so I could access them easily so if I was looking at changes, extentions or even a new design I counld use this board.

Andrew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:20 pm     Reply with quote

Some info on several of all possible manufacturers:
- Microchip, many choices. PIC18F2480 starts from $4.30
- Atmel has only few CAN processors. AT90CAN128 too expensive, cheaper AT90CAN32 starts sampling 06Q3
- Philips, several ARM based processors: LPC2119 from $7.60
- Renesas has several processors with CAN, and many under development. H8 based HD64F36054 from $8.60

For processors from other manufacturers you'll have to do your own investigations.
jma_1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:55 am     Reply with quote

Thanks ckielstra,

I found the same processors you listed. If I find anything less expensive I'll post a link to it.

Cheers,
JMA
iso

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:49 am     Reply with quote

jecottrell, the 2551 is just a transceiver. You must mean a stand-alone can 2515 right ?

Don't worry about 'wasting' io pins as long as you have the room for the package it doesn't matter. I've found I will always end up needing at least 2-5 more io pins then I originally figure when doing a new project.

The 28pin QFN pics are the smallest processors with CAN anywhere out there I beleive.

I've dealt with microchip can a lot and I recommend it. Not overly complicated and I have yet to find any glaring design flaws. I have no reservations about using microchip CAN in any of my projects.

Try pic with internal can + transceiver (2551 is decient and cheap) or you have the small cheap pic + 2515 + 2551. The only requirement you have with the 2515 option is your pic should really have hardware spi... but you could do it in software.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: