CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Can the Microchip ICD be used as a programmer ??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arunb

Can the Microchip ICD be used as a programmer ??
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:31 pm     Reply with quote

Hi,

I am planning to buy a ICD from Microchip. Can the ICD be used as a programmer (just as PICSTART plus) ??

Can the Micrichip ICD be used to debug programs written in CCS C Compiler ( PCM Ver 3.1619) ??

Also is there any difference between the way ICD programs a MCU and the way Picstart Plus does ????

thanks
arunb
Mark

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:31 am     Reply with quote

Yes it will debug programs written in CCS but you will need to use MPLAB IDE to debug. It will also program the chips.
sjbaxter

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:55 am     Reply with quote

arunb,

The microchip ICD-2 not only allows you to debug, but as Mark states, you can just program the devices.

The difference between the PICStart Plus and ICD-2 is that with the PICStart you have to remove the PIC from your board and put it in the programmer (which is only good for PDIP or DIL packages.) whereas the ICD-2 programs the device in circuit using the MCLR, VPP, GND, PGC and PGD pins. The same setup as used for debugging. The ICD-2 connection does take up a few I/O pins but is essental for any serious project.

The difference between debug mode and a programmed device is that MPLAB doesn't add a small section of code to the PIC (debug Kernel) when purly programming the device.

I have both and haven't used my PICStart since getting an ICD-2.

RE:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:07 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

I am curious to know why the PICSTART is more expensive than the ICD2 , is there a difference in the way both systems program mcus ??

arunb
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:29 am     Reply with quote

A large 'lump' of the extra, will just be the cost of the ZIF socket on the PicStart. The module that you can buy to attach to the ICD2, to give the same connection, costs over $30...
The PicStart is the simpler solution, if you want to program 'chips', off board. The ICD, is far easier, if you build the programming header into your boards.

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: