CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Write then Read of data eeprom is no proof of saved data

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pfournier

Write then Read of data eeprom is no proof of saved data
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:17 pm     Reply with quote

18f8622 PCWH 3.249

I mistakenly wrote enough times to a section of my data eeprom to wear out 2 bytes.

As a side effect of this I have discovered that if you write to the eeprom then read, the data looks just fine!!!! You only discover there is a problem after you cycle power or reset.

Does anyone know if there a way around this, or is it just the way the silicon is made?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Re: Write then Read of data eeprom is no proof of saved data
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:44 pm     Reply with quote

pfournier wrote:
I mistakenly wrote enough times to a section of my data eeprom to wear out 2 bytes.

Does anyone know if there a way around this, or is it just the way the silicon is made?

It's the way the silicon is made. Those 2 bytes are gone. Obviously, you can do two things:
- Choose another pair of bytes that haven't been worn out.
- Replace the PIC.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:23 am     Reply with quote

You misunderstood my note, and after rereading it I can see how. I don't want the bytes back, I want to know how I can be assured that the data EEPROM really has saved my data without power cylcling or resetting the processor.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:45 am     Reply with quote

The problem is that certain damage modes, can result in an EEPROM, which writes OK, and holds it's data till the power is removed. Then the data is lost, over days, hours, or even minutes. Unfortunately, the write, followed by read test, will see the data as OK, but then latter the contents degrade...
Dealing with this type of failure is hard. One solution, is to add a checksum elsewhere. On a particular application where high reliability was needed, I switched to using a 24:16 Shannon code, writing three bytes for every two that were needed, with a high probability of detecting failure, or recovering the data. Generally, if I remember correctly, failures result in the bits becoming 'set', so something like writing a second bitwise invert of the byte to the next cell, and assuming if there is a difference, when reading the two bytes, and inverting the second, that the one which has the low value stored is the 'correct' result, should work.

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: