CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Problem with two pics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Markdem

Problem with two pics
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:40 pm     Reply with quote

Hi All, i have a small problem. I am tring to get I2C communications between two pic. I have done this before with two PIC16F887A chips, but in this project i would like to use a PIC16F887A and a PIC16F88. Problem is the PIC16F88 will stop if it is connected to the same power rail as the PIC16F887A. as soon as i disconnect it, the PIC16F88 will start running again.
The code on both the PICs is just flashing a led, nothing to do with I2C yet.
Both PICs are running a 20Mhz external cristal with 22pf caps going to ground. Voltage on the rail is 5v even with both PICs connected.

Anyone have any ideas that i can try

Thanks you very much

mark
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Not enough current?..
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:44 am     Reply with quote

The only thing that comes to mind is that there is not enough current for both PICs and the rest of your circuitry. If you supply more cuurent, does the problem go away?
Markdem

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:39 am     Reply with quote

Thanks kender. i checked the current draw, but t is only 80mA, and the power supply is rated to 3A. The think i have noticed is that the led connected to the second PICF88 does not go off. It will stay on untill i disconnect the PIC16F887A.

Any more ideas

Thanks, Mark
Markdem

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:16 am     Reply with quote

Hi All, this is doing in my head. I have now built another test rig, but this time using 2 PIC16F887A chips. Works without a problem. Do you think is could be a faulty PIC16F88?? I have checked for shorts on the other circurt, but cant find anything that is wrong. Also, i would like to check if the cyristal is still ticking, but i dont have a scope. Does anybody use a PC baced scope, and how are they.

Thanks, mark
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:37 am     Reply with quote

Markdem wrote:
Also, i would like to check if the cyristal is still ticking, but i dont have a scope.

Speaking of crystal, are you using one crystal for both PICs or each of the PICs have it's own crystal?
Markdem

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:33 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Kender, i have got two crystals, one for each of the PICs. Funny think i have now found. The first rig hag 2 ds1830 temp probe connectors on it, bu the probes where not connected. This new rig does not. When i reconnected the connectors, the problem came back, again with no ds1830 connected. Why would some wire pulled up be making the pics lock up??

Thanks, Mark
kender

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:48 pm     Reply with quote

Markdem wrote:
The first rig hag 2 ds1830 temp probe connectors on it, bu the probes where not connected.

I have looked up the DS1830 on the Maxim-Dallas web site. According to the datasheet, DS1830 is not a temperature sensor at all... It's a reset supervisor. Which pins did you connecte your DS1830 chips to?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:37 pm     Reply with quote

HAHA sorry, I know thats an easy enough mistake and well all make them but that funny as hell!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: