CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

18F87J10 Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cfernandez

18F87J10 Question
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:28 pm     Reply with quote

Hi,

Somebody use the 18F87J10??, is really compatible with the 18F8722 ??

Please tell me your experience.

thank you very much!

Best Regards,
iso9001

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:32 pm     Reply with quote

Never used either but I beleive that since the J10 is Standard Flash it can not selfwrite/bootload. I may be mistaken on that, thought I remember reading that somewhere.

Aside from EEPROM and flash type, some of the IO pins are different, the 22 looks to have more alternate uses for some pins.

If you are going to run an external clock your fine, but the 22 has the faster internal clock.

The J10 has a max voltage of 3.6 and 22 is 5.5, the 22 also has 2 pins for power, so pin compatibility is unlikely.

Large price difference.

Plus 50 other differences.

Asking if they are compatible is really useless since no one knows what you are DOING with them..... Lots of things are compatible as long as you place limits on how they are used.
JBM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:00 am     Reply with quote

I've had a little bit of experience with the the 18F67J10, the little brother (same series though) as the 18F87J10.

One thing to be VERY careful about is the ENVREG pin - this denotes whether you want to supply an external core voltage (a max of 2.5V is allowed). Related to this is that one of the Vdd pins on the 18F8722 is not necessarily a Vdd pin on the J10 - there has to be a 10uF capacitor on the line, or the external core voltage. The datasheet explains it in deital.

Almost all of the pinouts are the same, but not all - a very important difference!
-JBM
cfernandez

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:35 am     Reply with quote

Dear ISO9001

You say that with J10 not have bootload????????, This is the most important point for me. Can you confirm this?

Thank you very much!!
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:28 am     Reply with quote

The J10, can write it's own memory. This is the only 'feature' required, to allow a bootloader to work. The thing that can make it 'difficult', is that the memory erases in 1024 byte blocks. Hence you cannot have a small bootloader occupying just the bottom 256 bytes for example, but must leave the entire 1024 bytes at the base of memory unchanged. Also the code protection, treats the entire internal memory space as a single block, making it impossible to protect the bootloader...
So it can be made to support a bootloader, but is not the nicest chip to do it on.

Best Wishes
iso9001

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:58 am     Reply with quote

Thats what it was.

The 'standard flash' description on the microchip website is a little ambiguous.

Quote:

Flash versus Enhanced Flash

Enhanced Flash : 40 year retention, self-programmable in socket from 2V to 5.5V, ICSP(In-Circuit Serial Programming) at 5 V or 12V; data EE available with up to 1 million erase/write cycles

Standard Flash: Up to 10,000 erase/write cycles, 40 year retention, ICSP capability at 12V

At least implies that standard flash is not self-programmable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: