CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

PIC failure ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gon

PIC failure ?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:07 am     Reply with quote

Hello,

i wanted to know if it was possible for a PIC (a 18F my case) to fail but not its interrupts ?

I mean, if i have a programm on this PIC, and its interrupts handle a LED, would the PIC will still make blink the LED, and doesn't mind that the PIC failed or not ?

I putted some watchdog that sould reset the whole thing, if it fails, but it seems that sometimes, the led is still blinking but the PIC is not 'working' anymore...

Another question :
Is it possible that a PIC fails because of another component, i mean, if on one of its pin, the PIC receive a high level or a low level, is it possible that this component could make the PIC fail ?

Any explanations would be welcome.

Please let me know.

Many thanks.

Best regards.
iso9001

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:01 am     Reply with quote

I have no idea what you are talking about. Try being a little more specific. What is failing ?

If the LED is blinking you pic is running. (Assuming its not one of those dumb blinking leds)

nm: just read watchdog as PCM pointed out

Last edited by iso9001 on Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Humberto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:06 am     Reply with quote

To assume that a microcontroller can fail is not a good way to begin. Respecting the good
arts of the hardware design + a simple and safe code is the best combination for a
reliable system.

I do not know a single case where one can suppose that a microcontroller works bad, in
the 99,9999% of the cases always is an external cause that produces it, assuming as
external cause a wrong code or wrong hardware or both.

Quote:

Is it possible that a PIC fails because of another component, i mean, if on one of its pin, the PIC receive a high level or a low level, is it possible that this component could make the PIC fail ?

It depends of what do you mean with high level /low level. Microcontrollers
work with voltages that are within an allowed range and that in most of the cases are
between 0V and 5V. Being these logic levels high and low respectively and only the
permissible ones
being impossible cause of bad operation.

Humberto
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:52 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
I putted some watchdog that sould reset the whole thing, if it fails, but it seems that sometimes, the led is still blinking but the PIC is not 'working' anymore...

This is very likely because the Watchdog Timer is timing out and
causing the PIC to reset. So your LED turns on, and stays on for
the duration of the watchdog timer period. Then when the PIC
resets, the LED goes off. So it looks like it is blinking.

You shouldn't use the Watchdog when you are first beginning to
use PICs and CCS. You should try a very simple program
that blinks an LED, such as the one in this link:
http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23106&start=4
Gon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:11 am     Reply with quote

Thank you for the answers.

It is just a small part of my programm to understand what was wrong because it seems to be a bug that comes up once without any reason.
And the only thing i could visualize is the LED, so i try to understand what was wrong in all the hardware or software.

Is it possible that a pic that fails just when a led is on and then, let it switched on although there is a watchdog ?

Is it possible to have a watchdog that fails as well ?

In my case, the PIC is not doing what it should do anymore. But when it failed the led was on and it didn't reset with the watchdog, i don't know why.
I assume that if the pic failed, after the watchdog duration, it should have reset itself...

Quote:
It depends of what do you mean with high level /low level. Microcontrollers
work with voltages that are within an allowed range and that in most of the cases are
between 0V and 5V. Being these logic levels high and low respectively and only the
permissible ones being impossible cause of bad operation.

Reading this, it may be possible to have a external component that gives not the good level, and i have seen that it had make my pic failed but i am not quite sure because it was linked to a software problem. And in this case i didn't have any watchdog yet.
Now i have a watchdog but it seems to not reset in that strange case and i know it is resetting for other things, because i made it work.

I hope it is more clearer.

Many thanks.
rberek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:27 am     Reply with quote

Anything is possible. Microcontrollers can be complex beasts and the failure modes are many. It could fail in thousands of different ways. But is it likely? No. The things that you just did (i.e. firmware, hardware, board layout, construction technique) are most likely the cause.

These are rather open ended questions you are asking, so an exact explanation is NOT possible. Without much in the way of extra detail from you, we can only shrug our shoulders and say "maybe". However, if we had all said, "its the PIC for sure!", what would you do?

You'd have to do this - replace the PIC. If you put in a new device, and the behaviour has not changed, your firmware or the other hardware are at fault. This is where your debuging skills will have to save the day for you.

Debugging firmware will involve code inspection, simulation (in MPLAB or other) or in circuit debugging.

If the hardware is at fault, then you may also have to simulate it, if you have the resources, or get the oscilloscope/logic analyzer out and isolate the offending part.

All the best

Re: PIC failure ?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:08 am     Reply with quote

Gon wrote:
Hello,

i wanted to know if it was possible for a PIC (a 18F my case) to fail but not its interrupts ?

Sounds like a typical software bug to me. Your mainline code appears to go somewhere it is not supposed to go or, more likely, gets in an endless loop. When an interrupt occurs the PIC is correctly passing control to the interrupt handler. At the end of the handler routine the PIC is returning control to the endless loop.

One way I have used to debug these problems is to add a switch on an interrupt input (can be INTx or Interrupt on change). When I see the PIC has crashed I push the button which passes control to the interrupt handler that dumps the contents of the stack. By analysing the stack contents you can determine where the program is looping and, if your lucky enough, the calling routine that passed control to the code sengment with the endless loop.

http://www.brushelectronics.com/software
Home of Ethernet, SD card and Encrypted Serial Bootloaders for PICs!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: