CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

PIC16F877A as a modem?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John P

PIC16F877A as a modem?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:50 pm     Reply with quote

I've got this idea for a data communication system running over a cordless phone (because they're incredibly cheap and come with a recharging system all bult in). In order to minimize the components in the handset, it occurred to me that maybe using the PIC's A/D capability and some kind of digital-to-frequency output, I might be able to do this with a "software modem" running on the PIC itself, rather than having an external modem and controlling that. I think I could live with a modest baud rate, say 1200, but it has to be bidirectional. I'd like to use a standard modem protocol, but I suppose a custom design would also work; the data gets demodulated at the base station, not sent over a phone line, so there's no need to interact with any other equipment.

Has anyone done this? Got code to give away?
ak6dn

Re: PIC16F877A as a modem?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:52 pm     Reply with quote

John P wrote:
I've got this idea for a data communication system running over a cordless phone (because they're incredibly cheap and come with a recharging system all bult in). In order to minimize the components in the handset, it occurred to me that maybe using the PIC's A/D capability and some kind of digital-to-frequency output, I might be able to do this with a "software modem" running on the PIC itself, rather than having an external modem and controlling that. I think I could live with a modest baud rate, say 1200, but it has to be bidirectional. I'd like to use a standard modem protocol, but I suppose a custom design would also work; the data gets demodulated at the base station, not sent over a phone line, so there's no need to interact with any other equipment.

Has anyone done this? Got code to give away?

Seems rather complicated to me. Why not just use this:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=151

About the size of a quarter, antenna included, and 250Kbps direct digital interface to boot.

And sample code is available as well:

http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25745

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:40 am     Reply with quote

I think I have to agree.
On the transmit, it is just about possible to generate the required tones using the PWM. On receive, tone detection, with a reasonable success rate, would be very hard. A simple detector IC, like the NE567, could make it work, but a basic modem IC, is just about the same money as such an IC, and would also be more reliable. Realistically, it could be done with such a decoder, but 'why bother'.

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: