CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

OT - Old laptop for on-site CCS debugging?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

OT - Old laptop for on-site CCS debugging?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:16 pm     Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am thinking of getting a Toshiba Libretto (in case you don't know this is a VHS tape sized laptop with a Pentium 166Mhz Processor running windows 98).
I plan to use it with CCS PCWH and an old RS232 ICD.
Does anyone use the compiler/ide on such old hardware, does it work well?

Keep well,

Will
newguy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:49 pm     Reply with quote

Can't comment about the ICD, but I only upgraded to windows xp about 1.5 years ago. Prior to that I was using win 98 2nd edition.

I had absolutely no issues with PCWH under '98 se. Under xp, there's an annoying but harmless problem when I shut down PCWH - it takes a long time to actually shut down.

Hope this helps.
MGP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:12 pm     Reply with quote

I have run PCWH under Win98SE on a Dell LM166ST laptop (same CPU) and it ran OK. Not super speedy but acceptable to me. I keep this laptop very stripped down, software-wise and use it mostly as a development and debug/test system.
edhaslam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:46 am     Reply with quote

I bought a Libretto for exactly the same reason! It had Win95 on it though and I've had a nightmare ever since trying to get it networked to my home PC in order to get a newer OS on it!

Let me know if you have any tips. I bought a PCMCIA CD drive for it but I think the Libretto had a type 1 card slot on it as it didn't fit...

Ed
Will Reeve

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:09 am     Reply with quote

The Litretto is on it's way! I think I will install Windows NT4 on it for stability. Toshiba supply NT4 drivers on it's web site. I have an old RS232 ICD programed with the CCS firmware. I'll let you know how I get on. It should (I hope) be a cheap and reliable field programmer / debugger.
Will Reeve

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:56 am     Reply with quote

Update on my field system as promised:
Libretto 100CT (from eBay!) over clocked to 233MHz with a sample resistor change.
32Mb RAM!
2.1Gb HD!
Netgear wireless card (from eBay!).

Windows98SE (frantic search for an old license!). 98lite (20USD web download) to strip out IE.
Opera web browser
CCS ICDS application and flashed Microchip ICD1
CCS IDE and compiler
Picotech parallel port oscilloscope.

A cheap and simple system which allows single channel oscilloscope and full ICD debug and programing.
The CCS IDE is slow to load but once in memory works quite well The icons are all over the place at first but it is like that on my XP desk top so nothing new!
The ICDS application works fine, a little slow but programs and reads PIC18 devices OK.

All from a VHS sized laptop which fits into a toolbox!

I am more surprised at how SLOW my 3.2GHz 2Gb XP system is compared to a 233MHz 98SE system!
edhaslam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:00 am     Reply with quote

Will Reeve wrote:
Update on my field system as promised:
Libretto 100CT (from eBay!) over clocked to 233MHz with a sample resistor change.
32Mb RAM!
2.1Gb HD!
Netgear wireless card (from eBay!).

Windows98SE (frantic search for an old license!). 98lite (20USD web download) to strip out IE.
Opera web browser
CCS ICDS application and flashed Microchip ICD1
CCS IDE and compiler
Picotech parallel port oscilloscope.

A cheap and simple system which allows single channel oscilloscope and full ICD debug and programing.
The CCS IDE is slow to load but once in memory works quite well The icons are all over the place at first but it is like that on my XP desk top so nothing new!
The ICDS application works fine, a little slow but programs and reads PIC18 devices OK.

All from a VHS sized laptop which fits into a toolbox!

I am more surprised at how SLOW my 3.2GHz 2Gb XP system is compared to a 233MHz 98SE system!

Nice one Will!

This has spurred me on to getting mine up and running.

PS - can you PM me the overclocking details or any links you have?

Cheers,
Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: