CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

24V H bridge, pwm Frequency problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
asunca

24V H bridge, pwm Frequency problem
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:39 am     Reply with quote

i ve got a 24 V dc motor in my h-bridge. the gate input voltage is 30V driven on a 147ohm collector resistor(5watt) and BD139 power transistor (to be able to increase the current to fill the gate capacitance). but altough it is recommended to use the pwm input at 1-5 Khz approximately, my motor starts to whine at about 100Hz. i think mosfets are not working fast and they dont respond to high frequency. for charging an discharging i am giving approximately 1A but still no way??this still insures gate capacitance cannot charge and discharge quickly. what should i do??? i am tired of hearing the whining!!!! thanks
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:43 am     Reply with quote

Use a MOSFET driver IC, like the TC4422, 4427 etc..
MOSFETs, need a _lot_ of instantaneous drive current. Typically, their internal structure, is like thousands of conventional FETs in parallel. FETs that only have perhaps 0.5pF gate capacitance each, but once you have over 1000 in parallel, gate capacitances in the order of 1000pF, are common. Resistive drives, have the problem, that the current actually delivered, falls as the voltage on the gate approaches the drive voltage, so you either have to have a accept slower switching times than are optimal, or deliver a lot more current than is comfortable...
Also allow some dead time between the sides of the H-bridge (you will get some very nasty current flows, if both FETs on one side of the bridge are on at the same moment, which can happen if the 'switch on' time of your driver is faster than the 'switch off' time). How are you snubbing the inductance?. What trap diodes are you using? (unless your FETs are specifically designed for this, do not rely on the internal diode in the FET).

Best Wishes
Brian S

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:25 am     Reply with quote

Many motors show acoustic resonances in the audible range. These are very hard to PWM without whining. A higher PWM frequency can help, as can bad hearing....

As Ttelmah noted, the 4426 series drivers are a good solution, as they can turn the FET gates on AND off in the low nS range.

A driver subsystem that works well at 24V+ is the Vishay SI9978. It includes non-overlap and automatic soft-start/current limit circuitry, and runs an "all-NChannel" bridge.

I've run both drivers at 19KHz with no whining or smoke, using avalanche-rated FETs.
MikeValencia

Re: 24V H bridge, pwm Frequency problem
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:48 am     Reply with quote

asunca wrote:
but altough it is recommended to use the pwm input at 1-5 Khz approximately, my motor starts to whine at about 100Hz.

I personally like the HIP4081 for the voltages you are running at. And why are you running it down to 100Hz? You should go at the highest recommended frequency and stay there - only your duty cycle should vary. As stated earlier, that hum and whine is due to audible frequencies (below the 8khz range?).

Keep in mind that even if you are running at 24V, the back emf of the motor, if you brake it via shorting out the bottom fets, will cause your bulk capacitor to overcharge and you will get a bus voltage significantly higher than than 24V, and blow your drive if it is not rated much higher than 24V.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: