CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

switching supply inductor sizing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eugeneo

switching supply inductor sizing
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:14 pm     Reply with quote

Is there a simple formula for sizing switching supply inductors (step up and down) besides looking at the datasheets and provided tables? Of course it would have to include inductance resistance current frequency.

I'm using a 1.5-3.1v to 3.8 volt step up / regulator DC/DC converter (LM2621MM). Everything works find until I hit about 350 ma. At this point the voltage regulation drops a few tenths of a volt. I'm sure it's an inductor sizing problem since I've changed everything else. It's supposed to be good to 500 ma
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:09 pm     Reply with quote

My suggestion is to use National's online Webench power supply
designer. Use the chip they specify, and use the parts they specify.
I tried to use your parameters with LM2621, and they didn't like it
for some reason. They want to use the LM2623 instead.
http://www.national.com/appinfo/webench/scripts/my_webench.cgi/
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:14 am     Reply with quote

The 'reason', is that as the incoming voltage falls, the effects of the internal FET resistance, and some internal drops become more significant, taking the unit outside it's design specs. The peak inductor current also shoots up. If you look at the graphs for 'efficiency versus load current', with an input voltage of 1.8v, and an output of 3.3v, the efficiency is already down to below 80%, with a 0.4A load. At 0.5A, the efficiency shoots down to about 75%, and with lower input voltages this roll off point is hit even sooner. With the specified figures, given the drops, the unit will hit the peak fet current of 2.85A, at about 400mA, and it only needs the incoming voltage to be dropping a little, for this to be happening at about 350mA. The NS design program has a good model of the unit, and stops trying, when the efficiency drops below perhaps 70%, hence it switches to the 2623.

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: