CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Interrupt re-entrancy problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eugeneo

Interrupt re-entrancy problems
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:22 am     Reply with quote

The compiler turns off the interrupt in some cases to prevent re-entrancy. First of all is there any way to disable this since I know it will not happen? Also if I set the int flag directly after the int is disabled, will the ISR be called right after it returns from the function that was disabled to re-entrancy?
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:51 am     Reply with quote

The interrupts are only turned off this way, where re-entrancy _can_ happen. ie. the same routine is called both inside and outside an interrupt. If you are calling such a routine, and interrupts are not disabled, then re-entrancy _can_ take place. How do you think you are stopping this?...
Yes.
There are three things needed for an interrupt event to occur:
1) The interrupt flag is set.
2) The global interrupt is enabled.
3) The specific interrupt is enabled.
The interrupt flag, remains set, till it is cleared in the handler. Hence if an interrupt event happens immediately after the global interrupt is disabled, the event will be serviced, when the global interrupt enable is reset at the end of the protcted routine.
You an always 'duplicate' code, to prevent re-entrancy applying. Wasteful of code space, and you will then have to be careful of modifying the same global variables in both routines (bracket these operations with interrupt disable/enable).
Remember also, that interrupts are disabled in some other places, not related to re-entrancy.

Best Wishes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:09 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for that very helpful bit of information. You said the interrupt is also disabled in other situations. What would some examples of that be?
MikeValencia

Re: Interrupt re-entrancy problems
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:24 pm     Reply with quote

Eugeneo wrote:
The compiler turns off the interrupt in some cases to prevent re-entrancy. First of all is there any way to disable this since I know it will not happen? Also if I set the int flag directly after the int is disabled, will the ISR be called right after it returns from the function that was disabled to re-entrancy?

Let me guess, are you calling "delay_ms()" or "delay_us" from an ISR? This is a sure way to get the reentrancy/interrupt warning. If you refrain from using either of those function calls from any ISR, then you won't get that warning.

If you must use those function calls in an ISR, then do as Ttelmah says and just make duplicate code. For example,you should create your own my_delayms(). However, you really shouldn't be doing delays in an ISR anyways, since you should get out of an isr as quick as you can.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:42 pm     Reply with quote

There are a couple of parts of some long 'jump' operations, which need to remove a value from the stack. In some compiler versions this is done using the TOS registers, and interrupts are disabled during this. Some versions also disable the interrupts during flash program memory writes (on the versions that don't, you need to do this yourself, or the writes may not work correctly...).

Best Wishes
Eugeneo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:47 pm     Reply with quote

Ok. I'm being silly. I just need 1 clock cycle delay to refresh my 74hc574 so how do I do a nop instead of delay_us(1)?
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:32 pm     Reply with quote

Code:
//#define NOP()                 { #asm nop #endasm }

You should be able to use this inside and outside an interrupt since the code is placed inline
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:55 am     Reply with quote

Or just use 'delay_cycles(1);'.

Best Wishes
MikeValencia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:06 pm     Reply with quote

As you can see below, Mark's or Ttelmah's suggestions essentially compile to the exact same assembly code. Mark's method may be more portable across different compilers.

Code:

.................... #define NOP()                 { #asm nop #endasm } 
.................... void main(void) 
.................... { 
0004:  CLRF   FF8
0006:  BCF    FD0.7
0008:  CLRF   FEA
000A:  CLRF   FE9
000C:  BSF    FC1.0
000E:  BSF    FC1.1
0010:  BSF    FC1.2
0012:  BCF    FC1.3
0014:  MOVLW  07
0016:  MOVWF  FB4
0018:  MOVF   F96,W
001A:  MOVF   FB4,W
001C:  BCF    FA1.6
....................     delay_cycles(2); 
001E:  NOP   
0020:  NOP   
....................     NOP(); 
0022:  NOP   
.................... } 
0024:  SLEEP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: