CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

3v LCD Source?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jecottrell

3v LCD Source?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:23 pm     Reply with quote

Hello All,

(Pardon the non CCS topic, but you guys have been such a great help with everything I've run into.)

Tomorrow (Monday) I'll be back on the phone trying to locate the following animal:

3v LCD Character Display, 16x2, 16x4, 20x2, or 20x4.

Design issues are:

3V Radio is required and implies that to keep things simple everything else should be 3V. (I can deal with level shifting and dual supplies if required, but I would like to avoid that.)

Secondary issue is power. My options are 2AA or 4AA. That leaves me with 2.4V (2AA NiCad) up to 7.2V (2AA Li-Ion). I would prefer a 2AA or 4AA Alk-Mang option to eliminate the recharging circuitry (start to get the simplicity drive here?)

So....If I can find a source for the 3V LCD I can use the 4AA Alk-Mang option with a simple 3V LDO and a couple of caps and just live with the inefficiencies of the LDO. (Or more likely a 3V switcher.)

If I can't locate a 3V LCD then things get trickier (I think). My options would be:

1. 2AA Li-Ion, recharging circuitry, 3V LDO and 5V LDO.

2. 2AA (Ni-Cad or Alk-Mang) with 3v Switcher and 5V Switcher, and recharging circuitry if required.

3. Some other topology that hasn't occured to me yet. (I'm not an EE, I don't play one on TV, and I didn't stay at Holiday Day Inn Express last night.)

What I have attempted so far:

Searched the CCS forum for simialr problems. (With no luck.)

Googled 3V LCD. Vishay lists many "5V (3V available)" but trying to find a knowledgeable technical sales rep late on Friday afternoon was impossible.

Brainstormed through all sorts of power configurations, to the point of experiencing a cranial overheat.

Finally, broke down and posted an off topic message in a forum that has provided great ideas in the past.

Thanks,

John

BTW, ran into an EE question while trying to come up with a power solution. Could someone tell me if it is possible to configure a switcher to provide step down regulation when the supply is above the regulated value and step up when it goes below? i.e. 4AA supplying 6V nominal to a 5V switcher. At some point, early in the life of the 4AA Alk-Mang cells the V will drop below the 5V of the switcher and require stepping up.

Or does a switcher inherently provide this functionality?
newguy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:47 pm     Reply with quote

Many moons ago someone on this board mentioned a very low power consumption LCD that ran on a 3V supply - and it stuck, luckily for you. Very Happy

http://ca.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?Ref=450832&Row=178928&Site=CA

It's a COG (chip on glass) 16x2 lcd module. The digikey entry lists its power supply as +3/-7, but I haven't read the datasheet to see what the -7V would be for.

In the original discussion/mention of the thing, someone said that its current consumption was low enough that it could be powered from one of the pic's output pins. I remember that.
jecottrell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:12 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Sorry to add conditions after the fact.....

I would like to use a module (needs to go in an enclosure that is configured for "standard" LCD dimensions. So COG would complicate mounting.

The LCD typically requires Vdd-Vo = 4.5V so that can be statisfied in a 3V system with a simple negative voltage generator. That is typically where the -V number comes into play. (I think.)

John
jecottrell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:31 pm     Reply with quote

Found a good App Note on the EE question that I posed.

Read about it here:

http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/661

Hopefully, should be able to find a 3V LCD soon. I have several options I think, but still no sources.
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:54 pm     Reply with quote

I noticed you posted on the CrystalFontz forum.
Did you see this thread ? Their tech guy says how to do it:
http://www.crystalfontz.com/forum/showthread.php?&threadid=1622&highlight=3.3v

Here are two of their LCDs that have the -V option:
http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/1602b-wt/index.html#CFAH1602BYYHJPV

There are a few more on this page. Any part number that ends
with a "V" has the built-in negative voltage generator.
http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/index-std.html

I haven't tested using an LCD at 3.3v myself.
jecottrell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:45 am     Reply with quote

Excellent.

I'm getting closer.

Previously I was concerned about the 3V PIC being able to drive the 5V logic in the LCD controller. But I had gooned up the numbers. PIC should put out Vdd - 0.7V for Voh and LCD controll needs 2.2V for the input. So I should be safe. (I had pulled incorrect numbers from the data sheet earlier.)

I think I may even be able to live without the negative voltage generator LCD module (if one isn't available in the size/config I need) if I use dedicated neg volt generator ( Microchip TC1142) to get the Vdd/Vo bias great enough to have a readable contrast.

Also found a good part for my power dilemma:

http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/1742

Just what the doctor ordered.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: