CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Using PT100 thermocouple for measuring temperature

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arunb

Using PT100 thermocouple for measuring temperature
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:00 am     Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a PT100 thermocouple (Two wire type). I want use the thermocouple to measure the temperature. I have a 16F628 mcu connected to a MCP 3208 ADC, I would like to use these and the PT100 to measure the temperature..

The mcu and the ADC work very well, but I do not know how I should connect the PT100 to the ADC...

Could anyone post a simple circuit ....please..???

thanks
arunb
Neutone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:34 am     Reply with quote

What you need is a simple voltage divider. I suggest you use a referance voltage around 5 V. Plan on a current at 0C of 1mA to prevent element heating. Using a voltage divider with a know resistance and voltage drops you can solve for the second resistance.
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:12 am     Reply with quote

Are you sure it is a thermocouple? PT100 sounds like a platinum resistance temperature device (RTD). The platinum device is a resistor who's value varies with temperature. A thermocouple generates a voltage as a function of temperature. They way they would be connected to a PIC is very different.
If you measure the resistance at room temperature with an ohmmeter the platinum device should read near 100 ohms, a thermocouple would read much lower.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:15 am     Reply with quote

Neutone wrote:
What you need is a simple voltage divider. I suggest you use a referance voltage around 5 V. Plan on a current at 0C of 1mA to prevent element heating. Using a voltage divider with a know resistance and voltage drops you can solve for the second resistance.

That would work if the thermocouple were a resistive device Wink , but alas, its a voltage device. You're thinking of a thermistor.

Thermocouple amplifiers can get quite complex, as many employ cold junctions and the like.

I'd recommend a good google search for "thermocouple amplifier". Early on, you get pointed to a national instruments app note that seems helpful.

Scott
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: