CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

i2c clock stretching and overrun

View previous topic :: View next topic  
valemike

i2c clock stretching and overrun
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:36 am     Reply with quote

If a PIC is the only slave node on the i2c bus and there is just one master PIC...

The PIC's MSSP module only stretches the clock following a READ by the master, and does not stretch the clock following a WRITE by the master, then how do we prevent overruns during successive WRITEs?

I understand that retries are a must in software, but then this means i have to restart my whole stop/start/write_address/write_data/etc. sequence.

Or does the PIC MSSP actually stretch the clock even in WRITEs? If so, which PICs do this? the ones with an MSSP (as opposed to an SSP)? I'm confused.
rnielsen

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:43 am     Reply with quote

The Slave is the device that will stretch the SCK signal to give it time to 'digest' the command/information that is just received. The CKP bit (look it up in the spec. sheet) can be used in your ISR, in the Slave, to hold the SCK line low until it is finished doing it's thing and then release it so the Master can send another i2c_write() out or even an i2c_read(). If the SCK line is held low NO Master is allowed to send any clock signals out. I found this out when I started messing around with the I2C protocol. I had a device that was holding it low (it was a bad device) and the Master would not communicate with any of the other devices.

You would normally use the sequence:

i2c_start();
i2c_write();
i2c_read();
i2c_read();
...and so on...
i2c_stop();

but you can send out something like:

i2c_start();
i2c_write();// device did not ACK, try again
i2c_write();// device did not ACK again, try again
.... and so on until it does ACK
i2c_write();// device ACK'd
i2c_read();
i2c_stop();

You don't even need to send out an i2c_stop() command. The i2c_stop() simply tells every device, on the i2c bus, that the Master has relinquished control of the bus and that another Master, if another Master is connected, is allowed to take control of it. I just make it a habit of sending it anyway just to make sure things are cleaned up and constant in all of my programs.

Some people like to put Delays in their Master's code to give the devices time to crunch the data. I like to monitor the ACK signal so that I don't waste time in a Delay. If the Slave is busy and not ready to accept another command it will NOACK to tell the Master that it's not ready yet. If you are programming a PIC to be a Slave then you should make your code to do this.

Ronald
valemike

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:06 am     Reply with quote

Thanks,

I see you keep re-trying the i2c_write til you get an ACK. What if your normal sequence takes up multiple writes and/or reads, and then the e.g. 3rd write happens to be the one that failed. Doesn't this warrant the i2c MSSP 'state machine' to be re-started, and then you would have to reattempt the whole multi-write sequence?
rnielsen

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:13 am     Reply with quote

The Slave is the one that tells the Master when it can send information. Say, you send a i2c_write(address) to get the Slave's attention. The Slave should recognize it's address and get ready for further incoming commands. If you happen to be Writing several bytes of information to the Slave the Slave might need to do something with that information each time it receives it. The Slave could hold the SCK line low(the CKP bit in the register) until it's done digesting it and then release the SCK line to allow the Master to send the next byte. As long as the SCK line is held low the Master will just sit there until it's released. Now, if the Master is sending a i2c_read() then the Master should send an ACK back to the Slave to acknowledge that it received the data from the Slave properly. Your Slave code should accomodate this as well because if the Master sends a NOACK it means that the Master is finished talking with that particular Slave.

If you are sending successive i2c_write() commands make sure your Slave takes control of the SCK line so that the Master does not try to send any data when the Slave is not ready to receive it.

Ronald
valemike

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:02 am     Reply with quote

rnielsen wrote:

If you are sending successive i2c_write() commands make sure your Slave takes control of the SCK line so that the Master does not try to send any data when the Slave is not ready to receive it.

The way i understood it is that the MSSP module of the slave PIC will automatically stretch the clock upon a Master's read(). It is then up to the slave isr code to release the stretched clock.

Is it true that the clock is NOT stretched automatically by the MSSP hardware of the slave upon a Master's write()? The only way i see to do clock stretching here is for the slave to set the CKP bit in the isr, and then later release it after digesting that byte. Thus, depending on the interrupt latency and other interrupts which were currently executing, then there is a small dead time where the clock isn't stretched, and thus the high likelihood of an overrun. Is that correct?
valemike

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:03 am     Reply with quote

rnielsen wrote:

The way i understood it is that the MSSP module of the slave PIC will automatically stretch the clock upon a Master's read(). It is then up to the slave isr code to release the stretched clock.

Is it true that the clock is NOT stretched automatically by the MSSP hardware of the slave upon a Master's write()? The only way i see to do clock stretching here is for the slave to set the CKP bit in the isr, and then later release it after digesting that byte. Thus, depending on the interrupt latency and other interrupts which were currently executing, then there is a small dead time where the clock isn't stretched, and thus the high likelihood of an overrun. Is that correct?
Mark

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:37 am     Reply with quote

valemike wrote:
rnielsen wrote:

Correct
valemike

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:59 pm     Reply with quote

I wonder if that's an i2c handicap, or a PIC MSSP "flaw".
Mark

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:46 pm     Reply with quote

Refer to my code in the library, Multi-Master. You don't really have to digest each byte. Receive it and store it into a buffer to look at later. If you keep your ISR's short, you won't have problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: