CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Front Panel, how do i make one or where do i get them at?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick

Front Panel, how do i make one or where do i get them at?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:24 pm     Reply with quote

I need a front panel that will have 3 leds, 3 holes for pots and then label the items on the panel.

Here is one of my ideas, attach a drill bit to my minicnc machine and drill the holes needed, then attach a small tipped paint pen to the cnc machine to write the labels on the panel. finally, coat it with some type of surface protector so the paint doesnt wear away.

The method above limits design..

Another idea I have is to print out the label on some transparent sticker then stick it on a clear plastic, finally drill the clear plastic for the holes needed.

This method would allow me to have bar leds instead of singles like the method above.

Anyone else have any ideas or experience?
newguy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:15 pm     Reply with quote

Your second choice is basically what I do.....

You can buy clear mailing labels (forget what they're called) from an office supply store. They come in different sizes, but I got the 8.5"x11" sheets.

I draw up a mock-up of the front panel using any drafting/graphic package, and print it on regular paper first. Then I lay it on the panel to make sure that everything is where it's supposed to be. If everything is okay, I print the front panel on one of the transparent sheets (this is on an injet, by the way.)

You can use the one printed on regular paper as a template for drilling holes for the buttons, lcd mount, etc. Just mark the center with a center punch or a sharp knife, or a tiny drill bit....you get the picture.

Once the label is stuck onto the front panel, get a clear laminating sheet (again from an office supply store), and put it over the whole thing. Then cut out the holes for the buttons, lcd, whatever. When it's done, it looks really great - very professional - and only an expert will be able to tell it's not a pro job.

The only thing you should watch out for is the ink on the clear sheet can be smudged. Let it dry for a while before you stick it on, and even then, be careful. I usually use the backing from the sticky side as a....a "cloth" (if that makes any sense)....to smooth the thing down and get rid of the air bubbles that get trapped underneath it. No smudging that way.

Another thing I've done (with success) is to cover the front panel with a plexiglass sheet once the template has been applied. Works well if you need to waterproof/dustproof something. You can get sheets that are (I think) 0.062" thick from just about any hardware store. I think they call it lexan, but I'm not sure. If you have a tablesaw, you can use it to cut the sheet. If not, a jigsaw or circular saw would also work.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:13 am     Reply with quote

There are a huge number of different methods possible. However the 'easiest', is probably that companies who do dyeline printing, will print on self adhesive clear film. This is very cheap for small sizes, and combined with an alloy panel with the cutouts milled using your minicnc system, can give a really nice professional result at low cost. You can also sometimes get clear adhesive film that will go through laser printers, for a similar effect. This also allows colour.
Beyond this, there are systems that allow you to produce dyed colour lines on a specially prepared anodised alloy panel. You can also get engrving cutters for your mill system, and use a plastic panel, which has one colour under another, giving effects like white line on red etc..

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: