CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

GSM,GPRS,EDGE communication

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sl1978

GSM,GPRS,EDGE communication
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:34 am     Reply with quote

did some one try using GSM,GPRS,EDGE to communication between pic to pic or pic to internet..??
which chipset or ic are u using..??

it is interesting ,so if some one try b4 , lets share ur experient here Idea
astus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:00 am     Reply with quote

We use sony ericson gm47 in gprs mode to communicate to the internet. The gm47 takes standard AT commands, I'm told it is simple to send and recieve sms with these engines.
sl1978

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:55 am     Reply with quote

astus wrote:
We use sony ericson gm47 in gprs mode to communicate to the internet. The gm47 takes standard AT commands, I'm told it is simple to send and recieve sms with these engines.

haha, nice to meet u astus
ic.. but if need to upload data to internet, is it just AT command, no need to involve Tcp/IP??
i try to do one also.., but havent get any chipset yet, do sony ericson have edge chipset?? coz if wanna to upload picture or video to internet it is too slow to use GPRS..:p
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:57 am     Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am using the telit GSM/GPRS Engine they have a built in TCP/IP Stack, mad just simple test by now but it works fine.

I am trying to adapt the TCP/IP Lean Webserver fromthe book.

Would like to share the experiences on that as well.

Contact me thru PM to get more info

best regards
Andreas
ckielstra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:20 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
but havent get any chipset yet
Very likely you will buy a module instead of a chipset. Because of certification costs the modules are cheaper than the chipsets for most customers. The modules are already certified so have no additional costs.

Quote:
do sony ericson have edge chipset?? coz if wanna to upload picture or video to internet it is too slow to use GPRS
Are you sure your mobile operator provides EDGE? Here in the Netherlands it is not yet available. The only module I know of supporting EDGE is from Siemens.

In theory with GPRS a data rate of 171kbit/sec is possible, but this is all theory.... Bandwidth is divided over 8 time slots for both the up- and download combined, assigning a dataslot for download will lower your upload by the same amount. In the standards is defined a maximum of 5 active slots total. Than, there are no GPRS modules available with more than 6 time slots available. And to make things worse, you can not assign the time slots yourself, this is done by the manufacturer and they tend to have a preference for fast downloads. Then, there is some error correction which halves the effective datarates again....

Most operators use a cs-2 coding scheme which gives you an effective data rate of 13.4kbit/second per slot. A class 10 module (4+2) is than 53.6kbit/sec download and 26.8kbit/sec upload.

In theory EDGE is 3 times faster than GPRS.

The Sony/Ericsson GM47 is a very nice module, but is a Class 8 ( 4+1) device. I understand the upload speed is important to you? Than better look for a Class 10 (4+2) device wich has double upload speed, for example the Wavecom Integra 2106B, the Siemens MC45 or the Telit GM862-PCS.
I just checked the Siemens website and found a new and very promising module, the TC63 and TC65. This is the first Class 12 GPRS module (4+4) I've seen giving you an upload rate of 40.2kbit/sec and has EDGE as well !!
sl1978

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:20 pm     Reply with quote

Yes , you are right, GPRS in Malaysia can only go for 20-30kbit/second, it is no fast enough, there is Edge available in malaysia now, Edge module is more near my taget..
Buying module is easier than a chipset, but once you get the chipset, u can combine with other chipset like camera interface or bluetooth. it make your device more powerful
haha.. look like i m trying to buit a phone
Actually mobile network today, it is no only able for voice communication, it can also be device that tranfer data info like broadband, but it is mobile and can be in any angle in the country under the mobile network
ckielstra

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:28 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Buying module is easier than a chipset, but once you get the chipset, u can combine with other chipset like camera interface or bluetooth. it make your device more powerful
Beware of the required electrical conformance tests you will have to do when using the chip sets. This might not be a tough technical problem, but is very expensive. So only when you are expecting to sell 10k+ units this is an option. That's why the modules are so popular, they are already certified and have an IMEI number.
sl1978

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:04 am     Reply with quote

yup, i agree, thanks Very Happy

this link is nice..for who may interest

http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtbu/wtbuproductcontent.tsp?templateId=6123&navigationId=12484&path=templatedata/cm/product/data/tcs3500

Still deal with TI, headache Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: