CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Best way to drive a 10 Amp Solenoid??? Please help!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvstate

Best way to drive a 10 Amp Solenoid??? Please help!!!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:14 am     Reply with quote

I'm working on designing a PWM solenoid controller using a 12F675. I have most of the software developed and tested using LEDs, but now I need to find a way to drive the solenoids which require 10 Amps!

I have 12VDC. What is the best, cheapest, and most reliable way to drive the solenoids? Relay? Mosfet? Other?

Thanks!
j11

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:14 am     Reply with quote

depends on how fast the response needs to be. If speed is important use a mosfet with the associated charge pump on the gate circuit. IR (International Rectifier) has the parts and the app. notes to do this. Relays will work but they have an appreciable delay from being commanded to a specific state and actually reaching that state.

cheers
John P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:44 pm     Reply with quote

10 amps is one big honkin' solenoid. It must make quite a bang!

I'd say MOSFET is the easiest drive (don't forget a freewheeling diode). You might be able to use a "logic level MOSFET" with a gate which would run directly from a processor pin--don't know if they're available in that current range.

That solenoid of yours will sit there burning 120 watts while it's energized. For extra credit, you could install a setup which would zap it with a 100% duty cycle for (let's say) 1 second when it first turns on, and then pulse-width-modulate the drive to save power and reduce heating. Remember that a solenoid produces much more force when the plunger is all the way in, so after a brief interval you don't usually need full power. But if you do this, consider the characteristics of the freewheeling diode. Don't use a regular diode with a fast PWM drive; use a fast-recovery type.
Amsterdamned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:09 pm     Reply with quote

Usa a TOPFET and you dont need a extra component but it is saver to use the freeweeling rectifier!

Greetings,
Amsterdamned.
Yashu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:55 pm     Reply with quote

Watch out for glitching occuring on your ground when turn the thing on/off. You probably don't want to turn that FET on 'hard'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: