CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

How to make a diode? [slightly off-topic]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kender

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

How to make a diode? [slightly off-topic]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:09 pm     Reply with quote

Colleagues,

No, this is not a semiconductor processing question. Neither it is a PIC question. I just need to make a circuit, which behaves like a diode wothout a diode drop and can conduct 0.7A; its purpose is to protect the solar panel from the reverse voltage. The best diode I could find was a Schottky with 0.15V drop.

Thanks,
Nick
TBrandt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:44 pm     Reply with quote

What's the reason why you have to omit the dropout of the diode ? Is it just because of the power that you loose or do you need a dedicated minimum voltage - what would be in general a little bit dififcult if you make maximum power point tracking ...

have you thought about using power mosfet with a low RDson in forward (for the reverse voltage) and reverse direction (for the normal operation) with a small sensing circuit in order to stear the gate voltage so that you have a low Rdson in reverse direction for normal operation (0,7 A current) and a closing of the mosfet for reverse voltage ....
I have to admit - a diode is a little bit cheaper ;-)
Charlie U

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:48 pm     Reply with quote

Try this.

[url]
http://focus.ti.com/lit/an/slva139/slva139.pdf
[/url]
newguy

precision rectifier circuit
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:50 pm     Reply with quote

You need a precision rectifier, or "superdiode". It's an opamp circuit with two matched diodes that behaves like a perfect, inverting, diode.

I can't figure out how to post pictures here, so my description will have to do.

Imagine a standard inverting op-amp amplifier with a gain of -1. That is, an op-amp whose noninverting input is grounded, and a feedback resistor R from the output to the inverting input. Another resistor R is connected between the inverting input and the signal input.

A precision rectifier is based on this circuit. I'll attempt a crude ascii sketch below.

in-R----------R-------
| |
|--->|----- |
| | |
-- opamp |-->|-|----out

Please excuse the "quality" of the art. The R's are the two matched resistors, and the >| are the diodes. If this isn't clear (I wouldn't be surprised), email me. I can get you a pdf.
PCM programmer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:12 am     Reply with quote

Also see this Maxim appnote:
http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/636
and this thread:
http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19580
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: