CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Difference between pic16f876 and pic16f876A?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Einly

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Difference between pic16f876 and pic16f876A?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:54 am     Reply with quote

Dear all,

What is the difference between pic16f876 and pic16f876A? Why is the price differ?

Re: Difference between pic16f876 and pic16f876A?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:46 am     Reply with quote

Einly wrote:
Dear all,

What is the difference between pic16f876 and pic16f876A? Why is the price differ?

The differences to 'A' variants change with families. In some cases, they only reflect alterations to the manufacturing process, and speed/power, but in other cases there are as large changes as exist between different numbered chips. In the case of chips where only the performance changes, one data sheet is normally used, while chips with more 'major' alterations have a seperate sheet.
In the case of the 876, the 'A', has a different programming algorithm, and comparators added. Generally, it can be substituted, but requires some slight code changes to ensure the comparator is turned off, and a programmer that supports the variant.
The pricing, normally just reflecs how popular each version is.

Best Wishes
ckielstra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:52 am     Reply with quote

Two general rules I was able to deduct from the Microchip price settings was:
1) The more memory, the more expensive.
2) Newer chip models are cheaper, even when more or better features.

Very likely the newer chips are cheaper because the newer production technologies require less silicon area (more chips from a single wafer).
Einly

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Programming algorithm changes?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:08 am     Reply with quote

Hi.. Thanks for the replies.. I am using CCS Compiler Version 2.734. I tried to compile the program written for PIC16f876 and burn the hex file into PIC16f876A using ic programmer. However, I failed to program the chip. May I know what should I change in the program? Is it the program that is not compatible between PIC16f876 & PIC16f876A or the programmer that I used do not support PIC16f876A? In my program, I include <16f876.h> file since I could not fine <16f876A.h>. Is it a mistake also?

Re: Programming algorithm changes?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:25 am     Reply with quote

Einly wrote:
Hi.. Thanks for the replies.. I am using CCS Compiler Version 2.734. I tried to compile the program written for PIC16f876 and burn the hex file into PIC16f876A using ic programmer. However, I failed to program the chip. May I know what should I change in the program? Is it the program that is not compatible between PIC16f876 & PIC16f876A or the programmer that I used do not support PIC16f876A? In my program, I include <16f876.h> file since I could not fine <16f876A.h>. Is it a mistake also?

If it failed to program, it is because the programming algorithm is different, and the programmer that needs to be modified. If the programmer worked, the code should have programmed, but might not run. You would need to use the 16F876 file, since your compiler is too old to support the 876A. If the code did not run, you'd need to write a definition for the comparator configuration register, and clear this to ensure this peripheral is disabled.

Best Wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: