CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

PIC18F4520 support in latest CCS and "stable" CCS?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwyoung

PIC18F4520 support in latest CCS and "stable" CCS?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:13 am     Reply with quote

I am looking to use the PIC18F4520 in an upcoming project. My support contract for CCS has expired so I will be purchasing a new subscription and upgrading to PCHW to add PIC18 support.

Key features of the F4520 (40MHz and 5.0V) I'm looking at are:

1) faster ADC (only using single input so no scanning, planning on driving input with op-amp due to level shift and gain requirements, also planning on supplying 4.096V as reference to Vref+ pin)- any issues in CCS generated code?

2) ICSP and debug - any known issues with ICDS-20 and PIC18s? I can upgrade to the ICDU-40 as part of project costs.

3) Large RAM & ROM size. Expecting to use most of RAM (75 to 80%) as sample storage buffer prior to download via USB (FT245 chip) - any known issues?

Not very concerned with power consumption or unit cost as this will be a small production run. Overspending a bit on the microcontroller is a non-issue to get the project finished in short order.

All of my previous PIC experience has been with the PIC16 family. I've used nearly all the entries in the 16F tree and with very good results.

I have no problem with work-arounds where I need to write my own code to support a perpherial or feature. Quite comfortable with C and PIC assembly language. Also very comfortable with mixed signal circuit design and low-noise microcontroller vs. analog issues.

Thanks for your time in reading this and making suggestions reguarding CCS code issues and work-arounds. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:35 pm     Reply with quote

After a brief look at the errata sheet, I wouldnt build anything with these chips.
rwyoung

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:32 pm     Reply with quote

future wrote:
After a brief look at the errata sheet, I wouldnt build anything with these chips.

So far, the errata sheet and data sheet are all I have to go on. Given the problems last year with some of the PIC18Fs and their "lack" of errata information I'm not sure if this chip's errata sheet is overcautious. But taken at face value, it makes me a little nervous too.

I have alternative chips in mind but I'd still like to hear if anybody has used these in a commercial application.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:47 am     Reply with quote

The errata sheet was updated with 4 new issues just over a month ago, this really would make me feel nervous about this device. Also consider this is the first stepping of this device.
I do have slightly better feelings about the PIC18F4525 which is in it's A3 stepping right now and has only 10 versus 20 known errata's.

If you don't need any of the newer features like autobaud and larger selection of power down modes, then I would recommend to use the old and well known 18F452.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: