CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

PIC's robustness to ESD?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
valemike

PIC's robustness to ESD?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:45 am     Reply with quote

I know the PIC has limited built-in overvoltage clamps. What do you guys use for ESD protection? Simple current-limiting resistors to each pin? Or do you guys find the need for external ESD protection ICs?

Thanks,
Mike
newguy

esd
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:02 pm     Reply with quote

I typically err on the side of caution and always add external protection to any lines that leave the enlcosure or are used for user interface (buttons, etc.).

A nice 4 input esd array is the On Semiconductor MMQA6V2T1. Digikey carries it: MMQA6V2T1OSCT-ND. Really quite cheap at $.32 each (CDN) too.

To protect power & ground lines I usually use something like Littelfuse's SMBJxxCA transient voltage suppressors. They come in unidirectional and bidirectional versions, and work great at suppressing spikes. If you use one of the unidirectional versions across your power input, then it doubles as a polarity reversal protection device too.

I'd like to hear other people's opinions on this too. Like I said, I always err on the side of caution, but then again, esd hasn't been an issue for me either. Perhaps because of the protection, perhaps I'm just lucky.
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:34 pm     Reply with quote

The PIC is pretty robust, but generally, I opto-couple everything!. However on simpler projects, I have used transorbs, plus pi filters, and systems with these have been in some cases running for over a decade, without failures.

Best Wishes
valemike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:14 pm     Reply with quote

I recently implemented in the MAX6818 ESD protector/Switch Debouncer from Maxim.

For EMI + ESD protection, I have looked at ST's EMIF10* family, which has 10 EMI and ESD protection lines for just under a buck! Unfortunately, I need to buy it in quantities of 5000.

I've also looked into using transils (ESDA6V1S3).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: