CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Unused ADC pins

View previous topic :: View next topic  
john66

Unused ADC pins
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:25 am     Reply with quote

I am debugging someone else's design using the PIC16C73. Port A is set up as all analog but there are three unconnected pins on the port. I have seen unconnected digital inputs create nasty, intermittent problems.

Has anyone experienced the same type of trouble with unconnected ADC inputs?
Ttelmah

Re: Unused ADC pins
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:09 pm     Reply with quote

john66 wrote:
I am debugging someone else's design using the PIC16C73. Port A is set up as all analog but there are three unconnected pins on the port. I have seen unconnected digital inputs create nasty, intermittent problems.

Has anyone experienced the same type of trouble with unconnected ADC inputs?

I don't think this would be a problem.
The problem with digital inputs, is they get into the 'transition' area, where they are undecided about whether to be high or low, and can draw excessive current in this area. This is why the act of selecting the ADC, turns off the digital input buffers on the selected pins. The pins are still protected by the clamp diodes, so should be OK. Personally, I'd still clamp the pins, but the normal digital problems should not apply.

Best Wishes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:44 pm     Reply with quote

That makes sense. Thanks.

Unused pins in general
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:05 am     Reply with quote

OK, I'll bite: what should one do with unused digital I/O pins? Make 'em inputs and set 'em high? Make 'em outputs and leave them unconnected?
Haplo

Re: Unused pins in general
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:23 am     Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
OK, I'll bite: what should one do with unused digital I/O pins? Make 'em inputs and set 'em high?

How about making them outputs and setting them high? Very Happy
That's probably the best way of doing it, making them outputs and setting them either to high or low. Or you can make them inputs and tie them to VCC or GND via resistors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: