CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Shot in the dark - digital camera modules

View previous topic :: View next topic  
newguy

Shot in the dark - digital camera modules
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:19 pm     Reply with quote

I've tried googling every combination of the words "digital camera module" along with quite a few others, but I haven't been able to find the information that I'm looking for. That's why I'm asking here.

I have an application that requires several seconds of video to be recorded at a time. I'm leaning toward using a standard (low res) NTSC camera module hooked up to a vcr or dvd recorder to do the job. Every site that sells the bare modules I've been looking at also sells bare digital camera modules with a higher res than the analog ones. Higher res is better for my application, by the way.

The problem? I don't have even the beginnings of a sniff of a clue how to interpret/store/whatever the digital signals coming out of those cameras.

Does anyone know of a good website or textbook that would clear things up for me?

Thanks.
John Morley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:40 am     Reply with quote

Newguy,

In order for us to help you, we must know which PIC you are using, and what version of the compiler you have Very Happy Very Happy !! Please post your code!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:53 am     Reply with quote

Or more appropriate in this case might be to tell us which camera module you are considering, with a link to its datasheet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:06 am     Reply with quote

Sorry for being unclear. What I'm not understanding is how to convert the output of a digital camera module (like this one: http://www.electronic-kits-and-projects.com/kit-files/cameras/d-c3188a.pdf, and here is the link to its' sensor chip: http://www.electronic-kits-and-projects.com/kit-files/ovt/OV7620_OV7120_v1.2whole.pdf) into a regular old composite video signal that can be displayed on any TV or recorded by a regular VCR or a DVD recorder.

I don't think that this is a project that can be done by a pic - I'm sure that there is a standard chip, or set of chips that can convert the output of cameras of this type into a regular old composite video signal. That's what I'm after.
SherpaDoug

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:33 pm     Reply with quote

Composite video is too fast for a PIC to handle at any decent resolution. Buy if you wanted to store frames on a digital media you might get a PIC to do that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:58 pm     Reply with quote

You could buy one and see what chip they use. Here's one example.
There might be cheaper ones available at some other website.
http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=CCD302
newguy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:04 pm     Reply with quote

PCM - thanks for the link. I have come to the conclusion that I'll have to buy one just to see how the manufacturer does it (as you suggested).

Thanks everyone, for all the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: