CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Question about different programmers.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wridmuld

Question about different programmers.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:47 am     Reply with quote

Hi.

I have used one home-built variant of Tait's programmer. It has been working very well for my 16F84. Now I want to be able to program heaps of different PIC's.

However, when I read the web and search for different programmers, there is a LOT of them, but documentation about how they work is not as plentiful. How, for example, does the Schaer programmer work compared to the Tait?

It would be awesome if somebody had a link to some documentation (a little more in-depth then average) about how the different programmers work.

Or does anybody know and can explain?

I am having problems such as these:
How do I know if I should reverse different signals or not?
What cables connect what?

And is there one programmer which is easy to build, and which can be used for a LOT of different pics in an easy way?

/Wridmuld
asmallri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:05 am     Reply with quote

Don't stuff around. Buy a Warp13 programmer - it will be much cheaper in the long run.
Will Reeve

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:34 am     Reply with quote

If you just use F devices then an ICD1 from Microsoft (programmed with the CCS firmware) or a CCS ICD is IMHO the best option. Keep with the standard ICD cable pin-out with all your designs (documented in the ICD download free from the download page) and it makes life so much easier. Just plug in and go!
I now use a U40 but to be honest it’s no better than my old ICD1 apart from the USB connection.

They (ICD1) come up on eBay quite a bit.

Keep well,

Will
asmallri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:39 am     Reply with quote

I have both an ICD2 and a Warp13. I find the Warp quicker, easier and more flexible to use for general programming
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:08 am     Reply with quote

Well if you don't have an ICD then I would get one of those to use as a programmer. They are pretty cheap. Of course I prefer my Promate 3 to it Very Happy
dbotkin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:12 am     Reply with quote

So here's my question -- I want to switch from my current programmer (Epic+) to something that has a USB interface, does NOT need MPLAB to work, and will program all the newer devices (12F683, 16F648A, etc). Integrating into PCW would be nice, but it's not an absolute requirement.

Recommendations?
Neutone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:29 am     Reply with quote

I have been using an ICD-U40 for a while now. About a year ago it was much faster than the ICD-2 to flash a program. Then the ICD-2 got new drivers and it was faster to flash a program. Now with the last driver and GUI for the ICD-U40 they flash a program at about the same speed. The ICD-U40 will fully intergrate into the CCS IDE. It's not a stand alone programmer so to program a board you have to include a 50 cent headder for in circuit programming. On the pluse side you do not need to socket your chips. Most chip sockets cost more than a programming headder.
Richard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:44 am     Reply with quote

If you are gonna program the F devices you can have a look at the Wisp628. I've got to of them that I have been using for years and have no problems with them.

If you want to build it yourself there are schematics and all the files you need at http://www.voti.nl/wisp628 for free.

Wouter also sells a DIY kit for around $23.00 and there is a built and tested version available as well.

Regards,
Richard
Haplo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:16 am     Reply with quote

Neutone wrote:
I have been using an ICD-U40 for a while now. About a year ago it was much faster than the ICD-2 to flash a program. Then the ICD-2 got new drivers and it was faster to flash a program. Now with the last driver and GUI for the ICD-U40 they flash a program at about the same speed. The ICD-U40 will fully intergrate into the CCS IDE. It's not a stand alone programmer so to program a board you have to include a 50 cent headder for in circuit programming. On the pluse side you do not need to socket your chips. Most chip sockets cost more than a programming headder.

I agree with Neutone, ICD is a better programming tool because it is cheaper to use the programming header than the socket, and also because it saves you the hassle of taking the chip out of the circuit. But keep in mind that two of your I/O pins won't be accessible (RB6 and RB7) for normal circuit operations unless you do some clever circuit design. I have always used ICD and never had any problems with this though. The only problem I've had was with ICD-U40, you can read about it here: (it has happened to me twice so far)
http://www.ccsinfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19262
dbotkin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:50 am     Reply with quote

Richard wrote:
If you are gonna program the F devices you can have a look at the Wisp628. I've got to of them that I have been using for years and have no problems with them.

Except, in my case, no support for the '628A, '648A, 12F683...

Neutone wrote:
It's not a stand alone programmer so to program a board you have to include a 50 cent headder for in circuit programming.

Or I could just build a cable to connect it to the ZIF socket board I've been using with my EPIC+. The ICD-U40 looks like a winner to me. It seems to meet every requirement I have... USB interface, supports all the chips I use, no external power required, standalone software can be used in addition to PCW. Nice, thanks for the suggestion.

Dale
Richard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:27 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Except, in my case, no support for the '628A, '648A, 12F683...

It works with the 628A perfectly. I use the following chips mainly and it works fine with them:

16F628A; 16F877A; 18F452

I'm not sure about the others but the 648A could work as well unless it uses a different programming algorythm then the 628A.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: