CCS C Software and Maintenance Offers
FAQFAQ   FAQForum Help   FAQOfficial CCS Support   SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CCS does not monitor this forum on a regular basis.

Please do not post bug reports on this forum. Send them to support@ccsinfo.com

Optimization depends on lexical presentation of source!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RLScott

Optimization depends on lexical presentation of source!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:19 pm     Reply with quote

Here is a strange thing I just encountered with the PCH compiler. When this block of code takes two lines in the source file, I get:

Code:
16:                   if(bit_test(abc,6))
  0068    AC37     BTFSS 0x37, 0x6, ACCESS
  006A    D001     BRA 0x6e
17:                      LATC.RC4 = 1;
  006C    888B     BSF 0xf8b, 0x4, ACCESS

But if I compile the exact same code presented on one line, I get:

Code:
13:                   if(bit_test(abc,6))  LATC.RC4 = 1;
  0064    BC37     BTFSC 0x37, 0x6, ACCESS
  0066    888B     BSF 0xf8b, 0x4, ACCESS

Obviously I prefer the optimization in the second case. But isn't it strange that the only way to get that optimization is to write the code on one line?
bkamen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:52 pm     Reply with quote

(cringe)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:02 am     Reply with quote

Obviously, report it.

It is interesting, since it 'switches assumption', and decides there is going to be more than one instruction of code (which therefore requires the jump). Instead of actually working out how much code is involved, it is basing the assumption on the statement being on one line, as it's starting point.

Does the same over half a dozen compiler versions - I went back to 4.117, and up to 5.010.

Changing #OPT also has no effect on this.

Best Wishes
RF_Developer

Re: Optimization depends on lexical presentation of source!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:33 am     Reply with quote

RLScott wrote:
Here is a strange thing I just encountered with the PCH compiler. When this block of code takes two lines in the source file, I get:

Code:
16:                   if(bit_test(abc,6))
  0068    AC37     BTFSS 0x37, 0x6, ACCESS
  006A    D001     BRA 0x6e
17:                      LATC.RC4 = 1;
  006C    888B     BSF 0xf8b, 0x4, ACCESS

But if I compile the exact same code presented on one line, I get:

Code:
13:                   if(bit_test(abc,6))  LATC.RC4 = 1;
  0064    BC37     BTFSC 0x37, 0x6, ACCESS
  0066    888B     BSF 0xf8b, 0x4, ACCESS

Obviously I prefer the optimization in the second case. But isn't it strange that the only way to get that optimization is to write the code on one line?

Hmm, not all that strange if we consider what may be happening. It makes more sense if the compiler is working line by line with no look-ahead. It also makes sense if we consider some possible context you're left out of the example: else. If the code was:

Code:

if(bit_test(abc,6))
    LATC.RC4 = 1;
else
    LATC.RC4 = 0;

then the optimisation would not be possible. It would also not be possible if the code following the if compiled to more than one PIC instruction as the skip skips one, and only one, instruction.

To me, the code doesn't look like its being optimised after compilation, rather its being compiled using keyhole source optimisations on a line by basis: if the optimisation cannot be "seen" in the current source line, then its not done at all. This was fairly common optimisation behaviour some time ago, when "long view" optimisations, looking forward ahead over more than the current line to see what MIGHT be coming later, were not so practical as they are today. As such, I suspect this might be a hangover of some simple optimisation from early in the compiler's life.

I would question whether its even a "fault" of the compiler as such. One cycle or one program memory location here and there is not generally going to make all that much difference in the great scheme of things. Its certainly a quirk, but is it a fault? The code works either way, just not as fast in one version as the other.
RLScott

Re: Optimization depends on lexical presentation of source!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:05 pm     Reply with quote

RF_Developer wrote:

I would question whether its even a "fault" of the compiler as such. One cycle or one program memory location here and there is not generally going to make all that much difference in the great scheme of things. Its certainly a quirk, but is it a fault? The code works either way, just not as fast in one version as the other.

I have a bit-banged SPI (the SDO pin is needed for Async serial in my app) that I have implemented with an unrolled loop handling 16 iterations inline for speed. With the optimization I get 5 instruction cycles per bit. Without the optimization it is 6 instruction cycles per bit. That is 20% longer. On an app that is heavy with SPI activity, that is not something you want to casually throw away.

But I agree that it is not a serious fault, especially since the workaround is so easy. I would not bother changing the compiler. I would just document the way it works now and leave it at that.
asmboy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:43 pm     Reply with quote

O M G !!!!!

i have"seen" this in other constructions of my own,
but it did not register !!!
since the code still worked.

but now i will work around it by my program construction
THANK YOU for pointing this out .
it is a kind of deep issue for CCS, neh ??
Ttelmah

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:20 am     Reply with quote

Not really, though it should be fixed.

The number of occasions where a statement codes as a single instruction line, is tiny. Even just simple things will normally involve bank switching, so an extra instruction is needed, and this won't then change.

I think RF_developer has put his finger on what is happening perfectly. The compiler does not at this level at least perform any assembler optimisation but instead uses different assumptions based on the source code. It does imply that a quick experiment in layout, may change things in quite few places. It is rather like the 'old one' with switch statements, where having a 'default' prevents a jump table from being used. This still applies with the latest compilers, and just means that you have to fractionally 'switch' programming styles, and get into the habit of testing for the default conditions yourself, and then having a switch statement without a default....

Best Wishes
temtronic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:31 am     Reply with quote

Like a road with a fork in it...which way to go ?
It does point out the complexities of writing a compiler! Trying to 'second guess' what might happen next, how to omptimize,etc.
It also shows why knowing assembler can be very,very helpful.Dumping the listing out and seeing what 'it' does, allows a good programmer to 'fine tune' code.
Unlike a PC where you can just get a faster CPU,PICs have a top end speed, so 'digging into the details' is essential for getting the best performance out of them.

jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CCS Forum Index -> General CCS C Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: